Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice needed for big cook

Options
I’ve been tasked with cooking some pork for a picnic at my wife’s school. She’s thinking around 100 people, so my question is: how many hurts will I need for that? They’re doing hot dogs and burgers too, so I was thinking 3 butts and when it’s gone, it’s gone. I’ve never cooked for that many people so I have no concept of how much I’ll need. Thanks in advance 
I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Depends on how big the Butts are...I figure 1/2 pound per person, pretty safe, you may want to consider doing a Chuck roll as well, the come in 20- 30 pounds and is an easy cook
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Are you making pulled pork sandwiches? If so figure 4 oz servings per sandwich you need 25# of finished pork to yield 100 servings. Figure 50% yield so 50# of raw. Butts average 8# so you need 6 -7 butts. Your math may vary. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Are you making pulled pork sandwiches? If so figure 4 oz servings per sandwich you need 25# of finished pork to yield 100 servings. Figure 50% yield so 50# of raw. Butts average 8# so you need 6 -7 butts. Your math may vary. 
    I’m not planning on making sandwiches personally. I’m just gonna supply a pile of meat and let them do as they please. I’m also doing Mac and cheese, and as I said, burgers and dogs too. I’m not solely responsible for all of the food, which is why I didn’t want to go overboard. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    It's going to be a challenge cooking all that on a medium. I hope you have a larger egg :) 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Skrullb
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    It's going to be a challenge cooking all that on a medium. I hope you have a larger egg :) 
    Have an XL too.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    Skrullb said:
    ColtsFan said:
    Have an XL too.
    Sweet! Throw on 4 butts and call it good 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Skrullb
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Skrullb said:
    ColtsFan said:
    Have an XL too.
    Sweet! Throw on 4 butts and call it good 
    That’s kinda what I’m thinking. I’m doing it at my own expense as a thank you for the teachers, so I’m not trying to break the bank!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    +1 ^^^^^
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Skrullb
    Options
    20stone said:
    Skrullb said:
    I’ve been tasked with cooking some pork for a picnic at my wife’s school... so I was thinking 3 butts and when it’s gone, it’s gone. I’ve never cooked for that many people so I have no concept of how much I’ll need. Thanks in advance 
    A few words of advice on this (in addition to the already good quantity math you’ve received):
    • Don’t jam yourself on your schedule -  A loaded egg will likely cook slower than you are used to, and butts will easily hold in coolers for hours
    • I would follow your instinct, and cook as much as you are comfortable in one shot, and when its gone its gone
    • I would not just hand them off - if you do, they will get pulled too soon, dry out and get dunked in sauce.  If I were you, I would volunteer to work that table, at least until you get everyone to serve it how you want it served
    • Pull at the last minute, one at a time - better both for qualit and food safety
    • I would also prep appropriate condiments (vinegar sauce, mustard sauce, something tomatoy and sweet if you don’t like your own pulled pork, pickle some onions), and outsource the bread
    In short, you’re wife must like your food and wants to show you off ;or just get you out of her hair).  Don’t let someone else screw up the dish
    Thanks. Good advice. I’m actually planning on being there because she wants me to get the credit. Yes, she loves my cooking and is pushing for me to be more active in trying to do it for financial gains. She bought me the XL for Christmas after I won a pitmasters competition with just the medium and my Smoke Vault. I guess I misspoke when I said I was just gonna hand it off. I will keep them wrapped in the cooler until needed and pull accordingly. I meant that I wasn’t really responsible for how it goes down, but I guess I should be!
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    20stone said:
    Skrullb said:
    I’ve been tasked with cooking some pork for a picnic at my wife’s school... so I was thinking 3 butts and when it’s gone, it’s gone. I’ve never cooked for that many people so I have no concept of how much I’ll need. Thanks in advance 
    A few words of advice on this (in addition to the already good quantity math you’ve received):
    • ...and outsource the bread
    I just realized what I wrote, and punched myself in the throat. If you want to really crush, get @caliking’s bun recipe and bang them out while the meat is smoking. If it works, you crush even more, and if it’s a disaster, Rosen buns are the way to go, and a quick backup
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX