Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs on a BGE

OK, question for all you eggers.

I usually get my ribs from Sams, and I try to cut them in half in order to "fit on the grill".  I use a rib rack, I think it's a BGE rack, and I stand them upright.  Anyway, I have not had great success (in my opinion) in smoking ribs on the egg - I seem to have a "real estate" issue with them fitting on the rack/grill and getting the dome to close.  Plus, once the ribs have cooked for awhile, they swell up and are hard to get out from the rib rack.

What are you guys doing to get them to fit nicely?  I don't think laying them flat will work, as it looks they would take up more space than the grill will allow, plus those on the edges get "cooked faster" being outside the place setter.

I know the CGS has some options - is that what you are using, or am I the only one with issues using a rib rack?  Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Comments

• Welcome!  What size egg do you have?  It's common to use foil to protect the parts that overhang.  I have cut racks of ribs to fit my small with good success.
    Flint, Michigan
  • I cut mine to the size I'm going to serve (unless appetizer cuts), but I know a lot of guys use a roasting rack. 

I'm sure if CGS has something for this, it's better than any redneck engineering project we could come up with...some awesome stuff from those guys.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    edited April 2018
    You could cut the rib section in half and wind up with two more square and less rectangular pieces. Think about using the Z dimension (vertical) to solve the space constraints of a single grid.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Chris8938
    Chris8938 Posts: 156
    Make yourself a two grid system, or buy a two grid system.  I easily fit 3 racks on this last weekend.  I cut them in half and laid them flat.  Most I have done is 6 with a rib rack, but that was kind of dicey in my opinion.  For my money, two grids for more than two racks is what I do.  
    XL BGE, Lg BGE, MiniMax BGE, Mini BGE

Appleton, WI 
  • Jellyworm
    Jellyworm Posts: 96
    I have a large and cut my ribs in half as well.  I also use a rack and stand them upright.  I do low and slow, 225, and they turn out amazing every time.  Not bragging just saying maybe the lower temp could be your answer.  Good luck. PS- when was the last time you calibrated your temperature gauge? 
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 355
    I have always done my ribs cut in half standing up in a rack. 250 ish for about 4 - 5 hours. I do sauce on the side and don’t foil . Works good for me. They aren’t “fall off the bone” every time , but pull very easily
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    I cut mine in half, use a rib rack, cook at 275-300 for 2 hours, foil and sauce some of the racks for another hour then back on for 30 min or so
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,745
    I have a rack, but if they're baby backs, you can keep two racks whole and cut up another one to fit three on a single level. Picking the shorter racks when shopping also helps.
    Stillwater, MN
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971

No idea where this rack is from but it does the trick. Just jam em all in there!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • whta
    whta Posts: 62
    THANKS

Been smoking them at 225 - 275 for the most part.  Several chunks of water soaked fruit wood (Cherry/Apple/Peach - and sometimes hickory or mesquite).  I use a rack similar to the rack above - but after about 2+ hours, the ribs swell up and are hard to squeeze out.  Not to mention, I feel like the ones in the middle don't get as much smoke as the others.

Do you guys do indirect with a water tray?

I've also done the 3-2-1 method, but I feel like they are too overcooked.  Very tender, in fact, it's hard to eat them by hand - the fall apart in your hands.

I have made an extender rack for wings, maybe I should just shorten it down and try that with the ribs...
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Not a problem on the XL.  You might have to cut em like others have said.   I haven’t been happy with my results when I used a rack, but others seem to crank out some good product.  Best of luck...keep trying till you get em how you like em.

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • UNCHeels08
    UNCHeels08 Posts: 116
    PS Woo and extender from CGS lets me do four racks comfortably. First time I did them uncut and the edges got a little too burnt. Halved them ever since and they fit fine over the drip tray. I also don’t foil. This set up works great for getting lots of wings as well. 

Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    You guys are killing me with those rib pictures.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Suddenly need ribs desperately!! Gonna have to fix that next weekend
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    As above, cut to fit (foil protect any that overhang your heat deflector).  No need for a water pan (just an air-gapped drip pan.  And no need to soak any smoke wood-the water doesn't penetrate the wood much.  Trust the tooth-pick test for the win and you will nail the cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    For me, the simple approach works best for ribs.  I lay them flat.  Use whatever rub you like.  Cook at about 275.  No wraping.  I usually use apple, cherry or peach for smoke.

Two racks easily fit flat on my large on a single grid.  I have the woo with extender, so four racks flat is easily done.

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Lay flat with two grid system or buy a xl 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    I have a Large and I use a rib rack. Set up is Dry smoking wood, platesetter legs up, drip pan on foil balls, grid , rack w/ ribs. 250 for 5-6 hrs or for 3 hrs then foil for 1hr then finish for half to one hour ,test with toothe pick. Place foil under ribs which are not protected by platesetter.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    We're old so only eat one rack at a meal. On the medium I just cut a rack in half and laid it flat. Normally this cooks about five hours untouched at 250 and is great. Last cook, I was careless,not paying attention had the temp too high and burned up a small rack.
    Cooking on the coast