Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alaskan King Crab Legs - Need help please....

I am sad to admit that after 12 years of Big Green Egg ownership I have never attempted Crab Legs on the Egg. What is the best method to cook these on the Egg? They are thawed already. I have seen indirect at 275 with Alder wood or direct with high heat. What is the best method? I do own Grill Grates if that helps. Thanks in advance for the help. Kenny

Comments

• AKC legs are really simple. It doesn't matter if you go direct or indirect. The main thing to remember is that they are precooked. Thus they only need to be heated to a internal of 140 degrees no matter how you cook them. This applies to boiling and steaming them as well. Pull at the 140 mark and all will end well. By going indirect you have a little more control over the cook. Short of this, the end result is no different. 
  • Due to them being precooked, it doesn't take long at all to get them up to 140. I would recommend using a low temp until you get your timing and rhythm down cooking them. They are very easy to over shoot when running high temp. 220-275 is perfect until you get use to cooking them. Once you are familiar with cooking them, then the sky is the limit on temp. 
  • Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    @TheManBehindTheMask is right. It's a simple cook, thawed out are easier to control. I cooked them raised direct about 400. For 5-10 minutes depending on the size.
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    BigGreenPackerFan said:
    I do own Grill Grates if that helps. 
    Brother PackerFan, the Grill Grates will make no difference at all in the end results versus a standard grid. Above, brother BehindTheMask conveyed my thoughts exactly. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Over-cooking is your enemy.  Stay put and keep an eye on them, multi-tasking can lead to disaster if your other task takes longer than expected.  Relax and enjoy a beer while you cook/re-heat the AKC legs.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2015
    Takes about :pensive: ...2-12oz cans running direct or indirect in a pan or straight on the grid at about 250℉-275℉. Just warm those bad boys up. I usually have a small pan with butter on there at the same time. Temp is relative really...go 250℉-400℉ doesn't matter much just don't overdo them.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    I've never even considered "cooking" king crab legs on the grill as I always just steam them (which is very hard to screw up).

What's the upside to doing these on a grill?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    HeavyG said:
    None. Not gonna get a huge difference if any in flavor. I use the egg because I'm usually already making sides so I figure why not utilize the heat I already have. Efficiency if you will. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    HeavyG said:
    As far as end quality, nothing. However sometimes it's just fun to grill. Also it moves the mess outside which is always a good thing. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thank you everyone for the advice. I already had it set up direct at about 400 cooking the potatoes and veggies when the responses came in. I went ahead and kept this setup and watched the crab legs close and the results were amazing. I can't believe I have waited this long to try these at home. Add one more item to the list of things I will never order in a restaurant again. Thanks for the help. Kenny
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Adding this one to the "to do" list. MBW loves them.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Sometimes you need alternatives because your kitchen is gutted for remodeling and you want king crab legs. I cook just about everything on my BGEs. 
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Sometimes you need alternatives because your kitchen is gutted for remodeling and you want king crab legs. I cook just about everything on my BGEs. 
    Welcome to the Forum...making me crave crab legs.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Sometimes you need alternatives because your kitchen is gutted for remodeling and you want king crab legs. I cook just about everything on my BGEs. 

• CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Definitely want to add crab legs to a cook on the BGE one of these days. Post some pics with the end result
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Great minds...

mine are frozen at this point- just planning on steaming them. 

Having a martini now to make ale sure I have the proper focus. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • mcypert09
    mcypert09 Posts: 33
    Go Pack Go

Appleton, WI and Baileys Harbor, WI (Kangaroo Lake)

Grilling and smoking meat year around (even in Frozen Tundra temperatures); tasting and brewing beer - like bourbon and whiskey too; fan of the Green Bay Packers

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    Sous vide seems perfect for these.  Set bath to 140 and let it ride till serving time.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    I’ve done this and they’re delicious. 

https://youtu.be/HXTilLMpVi4
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • Sous vide seems perfect for these.  Set bath to 140 and let it ride till serving time.
    The problems with sous vide on king crab are:

1) finding a tub that will fit them (tough but not impossible)

and more importantly

2) not piercing the bag with the spines on the legs. Those buggers can be sharper than hell, and once the water gets in the bag you lose a TON of flavor. You could always double bag (I’d probably actually go triple bag because they’re so expensive) but steaming is so easy it’s my go to.