Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reheat Pork Shoulder In Slow Cooker?

oldgeezeystax
oldgeezeystax Posts: 313
Hiya Gang!

I made 3 shoulders for my daughters first party on Saturday but only ended up needing 2 so I left the third un-pulled and wrapped in foil. I'd like to bring it in to work to share with my coworkers but I don't have access to an oven at work, can I reheat in a crockpot?

Thanks in advance.
Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories

Comments

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    yes..

It may take a minute, or several, but yes...

I'd put enough apple juice just to cover the bottom of the pot, then let it ride..

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Should I leave it in the foil or take it out?
  • Should I leave it in the foil or take it out?
    bump, need wisdom!!!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    I would reheat at home (out of the current foil and in a then foiled pan with some apple juice and if possible on a rack above the liquid) and when heated up then pull. Reheat the pulled pork in a crock pot.
    For the future, always easier to work with pork that is pulled upon completion of the cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:
    I would reheat at home (out of the current foil and in a then foiled pan with some apple juice and if possible on a rack above the liquid) and when heated up then pull. Reheat the pulled pork in a crock pot.
    For the future, always easier to work with pork that is pulled upon completion of the cook.  FWIW-
    Hmm so reheat tonight enough to pull, then cool, then reheat tomorrow in crock pot?  

Thanks for the tip about pulled being easier to work with, for whatever reason I thought it would be easier to keep it whole...
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Captain is right about being easier to work with if pulled directly after. You need a vacum sealer.   I put in portions for 3-4 people then seal and freeze.  Makes great egg rolls, quesadilla's and tacos.    I've also sealed larger pieces before shredding and lightly chopped in a food processor and made chicken or tuna salad style for sandwiches.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Bagged in the SV is ideal for this.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Agree with @YukonRon sous vide is the best way to warm it up. It will be just like it came off the egg.

Johns Creek, Georgia