Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NEW OWNER/WHAT ACCESSORIES WOULD YOU RECOMMEND

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
HELLO,I'M BUYING ONE OF THESE BABIES AFTER A YEAR OF CONTEMPLATING GETTING ONE..2/24 I PICK IT UP IN BAD AXE MICHIGAN FROM A MAN NAME ERNIE WHO DOES NOT NICKEL AND DIME YOU FOR ALL THE ACCESSORIES.INCLUDED IN THE DEAL IS (1`) BIG EGG,DAISY WHEEL,CLEANING TOOL AND STAINLESS VENTS AND BAND ALONG WITH LUMP CHARCOAL WITH A VIDEO..I READ YOUR FORUM DAILY AND TRUST YOUR KNOWLEDGE TO HELP WITH WHAT I NEED TO BRING HOME WITH ME..JOHN B

Comments

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    JOHN B/ST.CLAIR MI, Polder thermometer for low & slow cooking. Instant read thermometer for high temp cooking like steaks & such.Firebricks or platesetter for indirect cooks and of course pizza stone for some of the best pizza you can find. Maybe heavy duty oven mitts for flash backs we all seem to find out about the hard way. godd cookin to ya you won't be disappointed. Painter
  • Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    JOHN B/ST.CLAIR MI, didn't notice anything about stand. You want the nest or table to get up to comfortable working height.

• JOHN B/ST.CLAIR MI,
    Don't forget to have an initial supply of smoking woods. Before you buy itty-bitty bags from your local BGE dealer, try a Home Depot, as at least down here, they sell 40-50lb. bags of either Mesquite or Hickory for
    $19.99 each. Pick up a bag(s) of maple, alder, cherry, via Web/Net sources if necessary (Charbroil.com has some selection). Or you might clamber through the snow and knock down one of your neighbors trees in his orchard for some readily available fruitwoods.
    I like BGE's chicken stand, and have on order, Willie's Chicken Sitter (for the unique, "Beer-Butt Chicken") from The Barbeque Store (888/789-0650) or try their website...but I had trouble with this address--here 'tis: www.barbeque-store.com
    Good luck! Big Murth in New Mexico

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    JOHN B/ST.CLAIR MI,[p]Congratulations and welcome to the BGE family and community.

Good advice is pouring in so all I will add is to find some drip pans.[p]I use the throw away aluminum most of all.

But I did snitch my wiffy's Pyrex dish and wrapped it in foil yesterday..[p]Worked good and easy cleanup.

Maybe long term not so hot. [p]Steel pans of 9 x 13" size is o.k. too.[p]Dollar stores sell em reasonable. [p]No big time expense involved.

Oh, a second grill comes in handy too. [p]Good luck and if there is a reason for the CAPS let us know.

Otherwise see if you can type in small letters even if you don't use caps for sentence's or i's. [p]Some folks have a medical reason or a mechanical reason for the large caps.[p]Thats why I broke up my sentences for easier reading.[p]Again "WELCOME" and let us know how we can help. [p]Cheers to ya...Char-Woody[p]

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Char-Woody,[p]I was just about to post to this one CW but I'll just ditto yours all the way down to the CAPS issue.[p]I've got sort of a side interest in antique short wave radios and follow that Newsgroup quite a bit. There is a guy over there who posts in all caps all the time, emails etc. But his signature line on all of the correspondence states that its due to eye problems and that he needs to do it to be able to read the letters people write. Interesting.[p]BTW, I snatched my wifes Pyrex dish about a year ago and have been using it ever since. Wrap 'er in foil each time and let it go. Real easy cleanup too, just take the foil out and give it a quick rinse and its ready to go again.
  • Char-Woody
    sprinter, exactly my friend..
    I have a good fishing buddy that has dyslexia..and its a real pain for him to read. So I would rather seek in this case. Thanks for underlining that one. I used to run Morse Code on Ham Radio, and I remember one individual that really needed my QSL card on International Morse Code. But he was a 1 word per minute at his best. I hung with him for over a hour to get his confirmation report at the same speed. And I copied 20 WPM easily. I miss all of that.
    Good Q' to ya Troy!
    Char-Woody...

• SloMo
    SloMo Posts: 21
    JOHN B/ST.CLAIR MI,
    The best, most valuable, most used accessory - leather welders gloves!!!!
    If planning long cooks 20 to 30+ hours or if you get in a hurry some times and old hair dryer is helpful.
    A pair of thick rubber gloves, preferably rubber coated cotten gloves (somes times refered to as "dairy gloves") are useful if pulling 190* pork.
    SloMo

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    JOHN B/ST.CLAIR MI,[p]A pair of 16" SS tongs is a very useful addition. Welcome to the family.[p]Spin

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Spin,
    I like that grill grabber tool....

• hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    I disagree with everything posted so far.[p]Not.[p]Anyway, three things. All come from Lowes and are cheap.
    First, I ditto getting an extra grill. The 18 inch weber replacement that Lowe's carries is perfect. You don't need a formal structure to stack stuff in the egg, and, especially when you are using fire bricks, the extra grill can be handy.[p]Two, weber also makes boxes of fire starting cubes that sell for about 2 bucks a box. Use two cubes. Starts fires easy. The suggestion from BGE that you should use newspaper is to be ignored. (he says respectfully). [p]Finally, get one of those disposable lighters that have been turned into long necked firestarters. That extra couple inches of reach that those things give you make a big difference in ease of use for starting. This is not something you really need as much as it is something you may find pleasurable.[p]Finally, I have found Peopleswoods to be a good source of smoking material. [p]Gosh I hope i don't get struck blind or get forbidden for mentioning the names of companies other than bge....[p]anyway, welcome. You already got the important stuff, so now the rest is just details.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    J Appledog, I agree. I thought I could do without it but wound up going back and getting one. It's just better than having to worry about what happened to the pair of pliers you left to left that grill with.

• Char-Woody
    hounddog, also good items![p]Your quote, "Gosh I hope i don't get struck blind or get forbidden for mentioning the names of companies other than bge...."[p]For clarification![p]That's not in the least bit out of the ordinary.
    Its been a long standing tradition on this forum to use other brand product's that blend well with the BGE's use.[p]Sauce's, rub's, charcoal, thermometers, grill mod's, even cover's.[p]BGE sell's all these in "accessories", as a convenience, but the customer has "choice". [p]Similar to what I told another gentleman, (yep, your a gentleman also) that once you buy the car, you can put any kind of tire, hubcap, or internal accessory on it that you want.
    As long as it doesn't void warranty.
    Open democratic principle.
    But don't blow up the car factory in the process.[p]
    Char-Woody

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Wise One, the pliars will wreak havoc on your grate...
    Listen closely when you grip the grate with pliars, you should be able to hear a slight 'grinding" or "cracking" sound......It`s the porcelin breaking up into little splinters in the area of the pliar jaws!...be carefull, Not only does it expose the metal, more importantly it could get on your meal and you could be chomping down on the chrapnel......
    Just a thought ...
    Mop!

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Char-Woody,[p]Carl T......aka N0PWD

• THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP...I CONTACTED QUITE A FEW DEALERS BEFORE COMING ACROSS ERNIE IN BAD AXE MICHIGAN.AND MOST OF THEM WERE NOT INTERESTED IN SELLING THEM ANY MORE OR THEY WERE GETTING AWAY FROM SELLING THEM BECAUSE OF PRICE INCREASES DUE TO HIGH ENERGY BILLS RELATED TO MAKING THEM. I WOULD HATE TO DRIVE OVER 200 MILES TO GET ONE BEFORE FINDING OUT THAT SOME OF THE ACCESSORIES TO HAVE A COOK OUT DID NOT COME WITH THE EGG. ERNIE WAS GREAT AND BIG GREEN EGG COMPANY SHOULD BE COMMENDED FOR HAVING A DEALER LIKE HIM.
  • Char-Woody
    JOHN B/ST.CLAIR,MI, most of all I bet BGE is happy to have you as a customer.
    Glad you found a great dealer. Most like him will still be dealers for quite a while. Again, welcome to the "eggstra" special cooking forum..:-)
    Char-Woody