Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Infrared Microwave ? Reviews ? Who has one ?

Options
Looking at getting one as my birthday treat to myself.Any recommendations? Not wanting to spend over 500

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    edited April 2018
    Options
    My recommendation is to buy a mini max or that Roccbox 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    We roll microwave-less.

I don't miss it.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    I did have the GE Advantium oven if that’s what you are talking about. It was really nice but well over $500 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    What is it?  Anything like a Cajun Microwave?
    OK I'll bite:  What is a Cajun Microwave?
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Would post video but probably copyright. Google "AL's Cajun Microwaves" - your wallet may be in danger!
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    Would post video but probably copyright. Google "AL's Cajun Microwaves" - your wallet may be in danger!
    Yowza - $pendy!!

What makes them better than a la caja china at a fraction of the price?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    The accessories =) and made in Breaux Bridge, LA. Good friend worked in Breaux Bridge for quite a few years. I don't have one, just answering SoCal Griller's question.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    Uh Oh.  Sorry I asked.  Looks like a great cooker!  But like @HeavyG said: Spendy!
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yukon Ron gave me a La Caja China (ironically, when I was at Butt Blast) - never used it.  Gave it to Travis the brisket boiler last Brisket Camp. 

I'm not a fan of whole hog, tastes a little off to me.
    Had a friend give me a la caja after he ordered one nighgg drunk and then did iine cook on it.  Cook on it once per year, more of a good show and conversation piece.  Did the whole hog once.
    XL, 2-Lg, Mini, 36" Blackstone (Formerly CM23)
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Actually, my BIL, bought it, because, well, long story.
    We did 3 picnic hams in it, and it did fine. I think he used it a couple more times, but man, those things use a lot of fuel. I did 4 picnic hams in my XL., same day, using a significantly less amount of fuel in the process.
    He was BBQ equipment fool. He always used to brag to me about all the equipment he owned, having fun in the process, of course. I told him that was great, but I had a BGE, did not need all those cookers, mine could do it all.
    Miss that gnarly dude.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Yukon Ron gave me a La Caja China (ironically, when I was at Butt Blast) - never used it.  Gave it to Travis the brisket boiler last Brisket Camp. 

I'm not a fan of whole hog, tastes a little off to me.
    they use giant homemade ones up here for lobster bakes.  had a crew come in to feed 200, had maybe 250 two pound lobsters, enough mussels, corn, and bisque, and rock weed buried in that thing. took 3 pallets on top to cook the whole thing, you wouldnt know it wasnt a buried cook. its a seafood machine. should have spent more time watching but i was in charge of the booze tent all morning setting up
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Infra red is the reason I refused to buy a microwave during a recent kitchen remodel. We do not currently have a coffee reheater slash popcorn maker that takes up an entire cabinet and I have not really missed it much. I see Infra-Red as the future of microwaves, and the price should drop dramatically over the next year or two. 

Anything a microwave can do, I can duplicate in the (ridiculously expensive Breville) toaster oven/air fryer, range top, InstantPot, or regular oven already residing in the kitchen.

Yeah, the microwave can heat a frozen burger bun to yoga mat consistency in a hurry, but I don't really miss that too much. 

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    OK I'll bite:  What is a Cajun Microwave?

La Caja China Style Cooker

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian