Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ideas for leftover ham?

Options
Teefus
Teefus Posts: 1,208
I did a 10# Spiral Sliced Ham on the Egg yesterday per our Easter tradition. Instead of glazing it I threw a couple chunks of applewood in the lump and enhanced the smoky goodness. As in years past, my bride and I hardly put a dent in it. There will be ham sandwiches, ham and eggs, split pea with ham soup, and deviled ham on the horizon.

Anyone out there have a "go to" recipe for leftover ham? I need to break outside the box.
Michiana, South of the border.

Comments

• Surveyor_Egg
    Options
    I made a chili with ham as the meat before.  I liked it and the family did too. 

------

1 Large BGE

Boston, MA

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2018
    Options
    One of the better local pizza joints Happy Joe's, makes a ham/Canadian bacon, pineapple, saurkraut pizza with traditional tomato sauce.  We rip this at home on occasion.  Saurkraut is love it or hate it, which  Fortunate my son and I are in the love camp.

As mentioned, split pea soup is a must.
    Fritattas, omelets.  Grilled cheese with diced ham.  I am sounding like Forrest Clump. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Mac and cheese with ham. Costco has a great pre-made mac and cheese, I use with chicken, ham would work famously as well.
    Dump it into a bowl, add cubed ham, bake for an hour, add Sriracha to taste and serve.
    It will make your tongue slap your brains out.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

Not exactly gourmet, but ham is great stuffed into other meats. 

Butterfly open pork chops or chicken breast and stuff with ham and cheese.  very tasty

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I foodsavered my Christmas ham and pulled out for Easter. Made little ham biscuits during Easter celebration. Everyone loved them
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,343
    Options
    Ham and potato Au Gratin is always a winner

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     I love using the ham bone and leftover ham to make a nice pot of collard greens.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,625
    Options
    Finely diced ham added to waffle batter.
  • Legume
    Options
    More of a snack or light lunch, but like a slice of ham with an apple slice, sometimes with a slice of Swiss cheese if I have it.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    grilled cheese sandwiches, scalloped taters, colchannon, freeze some to cook with green beans, omelettes, ham and beans, ham and bean soup, stirfry, monti cristo....

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Teefus
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
     I love using the ham bone and leftover ham to make a nice pot of collard greens.
    Good call!
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,300
    Options
    Jambalaya comes to mind. Also grilled cheese with ham, cheese, and barbecue sauce.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Dice some and freeze for omelets or quiche. i also portion for wife and I as quick dinner protein. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    We put any leftover ham in a Ziplock in the refrigerator. Every time you go through the kitchen, stop by the refrigerator and get a piece of cold ham to eat. Pretty soon it will all be gone - no recipe required. Leftovers last maybe a day at my house due to this behavior. (When the kids are home)
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Beans w the ham bone 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I make a bodacious heavy ham and navy bean soup and then freeze it in 1 pint FS bags. This makes a great meal to pull out, thaw and reheat while still in the bags. Want the recipe?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Teefus
    Options
    RRP said:
    I make a bodacious heavy ham and navy bean soup and then freeze it in 1 pint FS bags. This makes a great meal to pull out, thaw and reheat while still in the bags. Want the recipe?
    Thanks for the offer, but we have one too. We bag it up like you do as well. It just makes better fare for cold weather. I'm hoping we'll be getting out of the cold weather soon!
  • Legume
    Options
    Soup or stew in freezer bags is my nemesis, but I try to do the same, just with plastic containers.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    it freezes so well theres no real reason it has to be used up now. could put it on a pizza this summer, make a cold macaroni salad with it on a hot summer day etc
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    we make hot sandwiches with the leftover, take Hawaiian bread, slice in one large piece, put cheese and topping of your choice, I do mustard, put the top of the rolls back on, cover in melted butter and black pepper, bake for 20 min.  they are great.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!