Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Halibut...Uh...feesh is what I catch n release not catch n eat

Options
Got some Halibut from Alaska  (pretty fricking big) fillets. I have 0 idea or internal finish or pull off temps. No planks here just 2 bge. What should be the go to method for tomorrow's cook? Searing up some steak with it so a hot grate. I have 2 bge if i need 2 different heat cooks. Fish is really my krytonite and maybe I need to finally try it on the grill. Hope some can offer the Cliffnotes...

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Halibut grills up well and does well in a pan.  Needs minimal love.  S & P and finish with a little lemon or herbed butter.  Oil your grates if egging.  I don’t IT fish much as you’re looking for opaque.  IT 150 would be your goal if you choose.  Great fish.  You got this.
    If the fish doesn’t want to release from the grate, give it a couple minutes.  It will release when it’s tme to turn. 50% less time on side 2 after turning.  Rest it 5-10 minutes.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I feel like this forum needs a W.W.B.D. emoji. 

See above. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Halbit is a nice fish as in it will take on any flavor you throw at it. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    Ok..thanks guys. I hit the search first but didn't get what exactly I wanted. You guys can delete if need be. Again, thanks so much. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    I feel like this forum needs a W.W.B.D. emoji. 

See above. 
    Funny guy.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,659
    Options
    Halibut it’s great beer battered and fried or baked with sour cream, mayo, dill. Freezer is stocked, love me some butt! =) 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• bgebrent
    Options
    Halibut it’s great beer battered and fried or baked with sour cream, mayo, dill. Freezer is stocked, love me some butt! =) 
    I’ll take cod down that road.  Alaskan halibut deserves more reverence imho.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,659
    Options
     Absolutely agree with above comment! I was raised on halibut and that was the way mom cooked it so I get it honest.  That said when friends and family bring us fresh butt I bury it the back of the freezer away from prying eyes! 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.