Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon!

Options
Tomorrow we are hosting Brunch and I am looking for a good way to cook a bunch of bacon. 

I am planning to cook at 400 indirect using the plate setter and the AR. It is a thick cut, so I am thinking maybe 25 minutes for crispy bacon?

I will trap the grease as well to avoid a mess. 

Does anyone have experience cooking a bunch of bacon on the Egg? Thanks!

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Your plan is spot on.  25-30 minutes.  Throw in some apple or hickory.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    EggDan said:
    I am planning to cook at 400 indirect using the plate setter and the AR. 
    I’m late on the draw as far as giving advice, but I hope that your bacon turned out well. 
    On a seperate note, but to the above quoted, my AR will note work with my plate setter. I have to use a Woo with the plate setter or just sit the bare plate setter directly on top of the fire ring. I was just curious as to how you are setting the two up to work together. 
    With that said, my egg is an older large. That may be the difference. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• EggDan
    EggDan Posts: 174
    Options
    @SGH the Bacon turned out well! It was a little bit more work than I expected. I covered almost every inch of the main grid and the AR. The raised grid finished first and the main level took a little longer. The hot spots near the back were a little burnt but not bad.

I have an XL Egg, so maybe that’s the difference? Plate Setter-> Grid-> AR in that order. 

Here is a pic that was maybe 20 minutes in. Still needed around 10 more. I forgot to take pics of the finish. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @EggDan
    I be darn, I had no idea that the AR would work with the plate setter on the XL. That’s actually really cool that it will. I’m one of the ones who actually really likes the plate setter. Sadly they won’t work together on the large. 
    Glad to hear that the bacon turned out well my friend.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.