Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

7# boneless pork loin roast for Easter

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
I just picked up a hand trimmed  7# boneless pork loin roast for Easter. My plan is to follow this BGE recipe as a guide line. The butcher left the fat cap on the roast, which’ll be real nice. Is running the egg 450° indirect a good way to go for something like this?

https://biggreenegg.com/recipes/brined-pork-roast/

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    In my humble opinion, you're better off roasting at 350 to an IT of 140-145.  Just me.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    I agree with Brent.

A word of caution: loin roasts can cook dry on you in a heart beat, so stay on top of the cook. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Powak
    edited March 2018
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    In my humble opinion, you're better off roasting at 350 to an IT of 140-145.  Just me.
    Yeah I feel better about that. If I roast it until the internal temp is around there will the temp continue to rise a hair while at rest so I don’t scare swmbo’s family off with a little pink?
  • Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Options
    I’ve done a few and never been too impressed. I may suggest injecting it, although I’ve never done it. As mentioned above, they can dry out easily so err on the side of medium. I’ve got one in the freezer now that I plan on cubing and putting on skewers with pineapple and using a sweet and sour glaze. 
    I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    Just did a slightly smaller one.  Butterflied, to about 1/2" thickness, made a stuffing from fennel, onions, garlic, fresh  bread crumbs and white wine. (would have preferred Pernod, but none available at the local liquor store in airline bottles and no chance of me buying a bigger bottle) included some fennel fronds and cooked at 350 F until 137 internal with a few pieces of pecan.  Made a sherry cream sauce with mushrooms to dress.  It was pretty good... 

Wife just read this and said "What do you mean, pretty good?  It was DAMN good.  Her standards are questionable, she loves me...
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    FWIW, I score the fat cap on mine, marinade in pineapple juice and teriyaki. I cook mine, off set, direct low and slow, using peach smoke. I also occasionaly do an apricot or peach preserves coating, which typically seals in the juices. Stays moist through the meal. Leftovers are chopped fine for BBQ sammies.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Powak
    Options
    Ok, if I cook at 350°, and pull the pork out at 145°, about how long should/could that take with a 7# boneless loin?
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Powak said:
    bgebrent said:
    Yeah I feel better about that. If I roast it until the internal temp is around there will the temp continue to rise a hair while at rest so I don’t scare swmbo’s family off with a little pink?
    Agree
    New Albany, Ohio