Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sirloin Tip Roast?

Vents
Vents Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have any suggestions?I'd hate to Murphy's Law this.Its probably the largest and most expensive thing I'll have cooked yet.Any info. will be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Vents,[p]What size is the roast? When are you cooking it? I've not ever cooked a sirloin roast but have cooked a couple of other roasts. I would THINK that you would sear the outside of the roast then cook it slower for awhile (direct) until the internal was about 140-150, turning it to keep it from frying one side. If I didnt have access to this forum and the expertise here, this is the way I would go at it. BUT, you and I both DO have access to this forum so I'd wait a bit if you can and see if someone with experience chimes in and will give us an educated opion. If not, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Post your results and let us know how it comes out. Good luck.[p]Troy
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    sprinter, the last time I did a full sirloin roast I had to take a axe to it and chop it into a very nice pot roast BBQ beef. Now a tri tip, cut from the sirloin is a whole different matter...I love em. Like you, I will wait for the expert "sirloin roast" masters to dive into this one..
    (I'm grinnin)
    C~W

• davidm
    davidm Posts: 64
    Vents,[p]Sear the roast in a pan on the stove until it's nicely browned and crusted.[p]Then season the guest and place it on the Egg at 250 degrees and wait for the internal temperature to come to 110. Then open the vents and let the dome temperature come to 500 for 15 minutes. Take 'er off and let it sit for 15 minutes, at least, before slicing. This should give you medium-rare on a 3 1/2 to 4 pound roast.[p]Indirect heat is best for this, by the way.[p]David

• Vents
    Vents Posts: 15
    sprinter,
    Thanks for your input.It was a 5.5 pounder,(I wasn't able to check back yesterday before the cook)and cooked it at 325 indirect in a v-rack over a shallow pan for around 2.50 hours till the polder indicated 145 for med rare.I didn't think to sear the oustside,and will do that the next time.I sprayed the outside with olive oil,and used a lite coating of Montreal steak seasoning.Came out real juicy even though it wasn't seared,and there wasn'
    t but a couple of table spoons of juice in the pan so I'm not sure that searing would have improved its juice retention.

• Vents,[p]I used the recipe below for a sirloin tip and it came out great. I was going to post the link but it expired. Luckily I had printed the recipe because I am going to use it again.[p]BBQ Brandied Sirloin Tip Roast
    Marinate a 3 1/2 lb sirloin tip roast in a plastic bag 8 hrs. or overnight in the following:[p]1/2 cup brandy
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1/4 cup apple juice
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    2 cloves minced garlic
    1/4 tsp pepper[p]I think I cooked it indirect at about 350. Use a polder for
    desired doneness. About 150 was med. rare. Maybe that was about 2 hours. Let stand 15 minutes. I think it does help to marinate this cut of meat. It was tender and tasty when done this way.[p]

• EJ,[p]Oops, just saw I'm a little late on posting this one !