Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken. Best yet.

Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight was some killer chicken. Been sperimentin' with ChefRD style breading on thighs, and tonight was a big success. My wife likes very little meat, and it must be flavorful. If it ain't marinated, she won't go near it. She likes ChefRD's breading, but does not like skin. [p]Here is what I did:
Pulled off the skin and cut the extra fat off a bunch of thighs.
About 11 am, I mixed up some soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, half a lime worth of juice, and some chili sauce. I mixed up a dry batch of cracked ginger, green peppercorns, tellicherry peppercorns, grains of paradise, corriander seeds, curry, garlic and onion powder.....then mixed half of the dry spices in with the marinade.[p]After the thighs had marinated for a few hours, I shook off the excess marinade, and proceeded with the milk/egg bath, and coated with the flour/cornmeal mixture (which had the other half of the dry spices mixed in). Chilled for about 2 hours (to let the coating set), and cooked the thighs indirect at 375-400. I flipped only once (as the breading comes off easily if over-handled.) It took about 50 minutes, and the bread coating was golden brown and perfect. The chicken inside was juicy and hot, and had plenty of flavor from the marinade. Thighs done on the egg are awesome, but when you marinate them...then "ChefRD" em, and cook em indirect, it is a wonderful treat.[p]Thanks once again ChefRD for the amazing idea of breading chicken for egging.
cheers!
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Nature Boy,[p]That sure sounds good. I've cooked breaded wings on the egg, I have two grates that I sandwich the wings between and it keeps the breading nice and neat on the wings. Real easy to turn the whole thing.[p]I've also breaded some fish in the past. I had a nice cobia fillet and it was breaded in a flour/cornmeal mixture that worked out great. It stayed on the fish amazingly well.[p]Congrats on the chicken.[p]Troy
  • Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Nature Boy,
    You're gonna crack up, I've used plain old shake and bake on chicken before I put it in! It's outstanding and easy as heck, give it a shot! Another unreal tasty treat; crush the heck out of a bag of Nacho Doritos and bread some cod. Throw it in a 500-550 degree egg for three or four minutes a side. It disappears like a paycheck!

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Huck, the cod sounds great,do you do it indirect or direct? Painter
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Huck, About once a year I admit that my favorite pork chops are rubbed with (house brand) jerk marinade and are dumped into Shake 'n Bake and grilled indirect. When I admitted to cooking chops with Shake 'n Bake on a MINI in 1999 I almost got laughed right off the forum. Almost.... I'm still here! JCA

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    J Appledog,[p]But have you even considered that shake n bake is really the ultimate combination of flavors pioneered by the top French chefs and simply marketed as a quick dinner fix for those not wishing to spend a lot of time cooking???[p]...oh wait...I've already used that joke...[p]Have a great evening,
    Cornfed

• Huck
    Painter,
    Direct, it just doesn't take that long. You'll be amazed at how tender and tasty it is. Any fish is ok, it's just that cod tends to be less expensive. Catfish is great this way too. Let me know what you think!

• Nature Boy
    Huck, Sounds pretty good. Do you use a milk/egg bath or just shake it on?
    This crust was so perfect, and it really wasn't much trouble. Yet I can see times where I might want something quicker.[p]Same with the fish? No milk/egg bath?[p]cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    sprinter, i'll try it on fish next. This was reallly easy.
    How bout a breaded brisket? Heee.[p]less than 2 inches of snow here yesterday, and schools are closed today. Buncha wimps.
    cheers
    NNB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Nature Boy,[p]No snow here, just the ice, and well about an inch of the white stuff. We had rain in the afternoon and the temperature dropped like a rock in the evening and froze everything. They thought real hard about closing schools I'm sure but the local and county schools have already used 12 snow days during that deep freeze we had around here 'bout Christmas time. Kids got a 3 1/2 week Christmas break. (if you remember thats when I had my lump trauma, the place just wouldnt open up and I was out) That weighed heavily on the decision to keep school open. I think as it sits now they will be in school 'till min June and every day thats closed is one more day in the summer.[p]Breaded Brisket, now thats interesting. I never thought of the shake and bake idea, may have to give that a try, it REALLY does sound neat and soooooo easy.
    Troy

• Huck
    Nature Boy,
    I rinsed the meat and then rolled it in the crumblies.