Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on cooking multiple pork butts with Flameboss

Hey folks. Been cooking on my XL for a few years now but I have a question. I have to cook a couple of 10# butts for a work fundraiser tomorrow and I've never smoked more than 1 at a time. I plan on running them at 250 until 190IT then FTC them. My question is this, I have my temp set to 250 on the Flameboss but it seems to be struggling to get there and hold. The dome gauge is showing 300. Is it because of the extra load of meat? Will it even out once they cook down? Should I be concerned because the dome is at 300 but my temp is set to 250? Any help would be appreciated.

Live in Austin/From Arkansas

XL BGE

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Where is your FB thermometer, at the grate?

in the beginning of your cook, you’ll see your dome temp higher than grate level and it’ll reach an equilibrium and even out over time.

300 isn’t terrible, regardless.  Egg on 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Arkysmokin
    Arkysmokin Posts: 124
    The thermometer is pretty close to the meat. Good call out. I'll move it to see if that helps.

XL BGE

• Arkysmokin
    Thank you

XL BGE

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Agreed.  Your fine and temps will equilibrate.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Arkysmokin
    It helped by moving. Pit temp jumped +20 degrees per Flameboss. I'm actually over temp and running 268. Thank again for the idea. 

XL BGE

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Couple tips....

1 - calibrate the dome temp
    2 - make sure the dome gauge isn't sticking into the meat (but this would be the opposite problem)
    3 - make sure the FB temp probe is over a plate setter leg and not in direct heat (again, opposite problem)
    4 - make sure the FB temp probe  is at least an inch from the meat, an inch from the dome, and not over a drip  / water pan.

Also, with an XL it's not uncommon for the fire to burn on side of the fire box and never touch the other.  I always turn my grid 90-180 degrees several times.  You might switch the probe over to the other side and see if you see any change.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    Top butts will cook faster, put the probe in them.

Open your top vent a bit more to help the Flameboss out.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    I always cook 2-10 lb butts on my XL.  Set the Flameboss at 300, and cook till butts hit 205.  Done in 8-9 hours.  Pull, rest 1 hour and pull.  Awesome pulled pork!
  • Arkysmokin
    Thank you all for the advice. The overall problem was the location of the grate probe. Once I moved it away from the meat it fell more in line with my Dome gauge. I had to shut it down for about 20 min to bring the temp down where I wanted but it purred like a kitten after that. It was a 12hr cook at 250.

Regarding the food, well 21pds was gone in 25min. I think that was pretty good. We raised $1800. I did pulled pork 2 ways. Used one butt as traditional and the other used as Carolina style (Vinegar based sauce). I live in the Austin area and everyone loved the Carolina style surprisingly. 

XL BGE

• Arkysmokin

XL BGE

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Nice Butts!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Couple tips....

2 - make sure the dome gauge isn't sticking into the meat (but this would be the opposite problem)
    3 - make sure the FB temp probe is over a plate setter leg and not in direct heat (again, opposite problem)
    4 - make sure the FB temp probe  is at least an inch from the meat, an inch from the dome, and not over a drip  / water pan.

Also, with an XL it's not uncommon for the fire to burn on side of the fire box and never touch the other.  I always turn my grid 90-180 degrees several times.  You might switch the probe over to the other side and see if you see any change.
    So I've been struggling with all these rules when doing large cooks, the drip pan is most of the size of the plate setter and the meats take up most of the space on top.  Placing the probe 2" from the meat and not over a drip pan has just not been possible.   Is there a recommended next best thing?  Is there a better rule than others to break?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I did pulled pork 2 ways. Used one butt as traditional and the other used as Carolina style (Vinegar based sauce). I live in the Austin area and everyone loved the Carolina style surprisingly. 
    Carolina style IS traditional! =) What are you calling traditional?

As for the thermo, BGE put theirs up in the dome. So did my oven manufacturer. Also, most egg recipes specify dome temp. When using a temp controller, I always clip the probe to the egg thermo probe up high. Don't know or care what grid temp is.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    edited March 2018
    Couple tips....

So I've been struggling with all these rules when doing large cooks, the drip pan is most of the size of the plate setter and the meats take up most of the space on top.  Placing the probe 2" from the meat and not over a drip pan has just not been possible.   Is there a recommended next best thing?  Is there a better rule than others to break?
    I've never had issues over a drip pan.  Not saying someone couldn't, just not in my personal experience.  A full water pan is a different story.  I would clip it to dome thermometer in that case (but I never use water in the egg).
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS