Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Added CI pieces...

SSN686
SSN686 Posts: 3,500
Morning All:

I added two pieces to my Cast Iron collection...these two items were given to me by my next door neighbor...she & her late husband moved next door in the early 1990's & we became very good friends over the years...unfortunately her husband (T.J.) passed away unexpectedly in 2005, but she still lives next to us...a few weeks ago she came over for dinner & saw my CI collection...she said she had two pieces in the garage that she has been wondering what to do with, but they were in pretty bad shape...she brought over a 2 quart sauce pan with lid & a 10" skillet...she said T.J. had used the sauce pan when he was a Boy Scout so that would make that piece at least 60 years old...she wasn't sure how long he had had the skillet, but figured it was at least 40 years old. As she said they were VERRRRRY rusty (should have gotten a "before" picture, but forgot) & she was right...yesterday I finally got around to cleaning them & they turned out just fine...

That almost fills the Cast Iron storage rack...

She is coming over for dinner tonight so I can't wait to see her reaction to how great the pieces look now.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Jay, I LOVE that saucepan! I don't think I've ever even seen one! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SSN686
    Morning Michael:

The saucepan is neat...I had never seen one either, but I'm not parting with this one!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Excellent!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Nice job on the clean up, and very cool 2 quart. 

Cast iron cleaned up and put back into service.  That's my version of recycling.
    Phoenix 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Awesome score for sure. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    How'd you clean them up?
    Mountain View, CA
  • SSN686

Morning dmourati:

I soaked them in a 50/50 mixture of vinegar & water for a couple hours, then scrubbed in the mixture with a stainless scrub pad before washing thoroughly in hot soapy water...dry by hand, then into 200 degree oven for an hour to make sure dry...next coat with CrisBee's stick (Crisco works too) then in 400 degree oven (Egg) for an hour...turn off oven & leave to cool...works every time for me.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    edited March 2018
    I had a pizza steel that I neglected to season properly. When stored outdoor in my challenger cart it picked up a rust pretty much on one whole side and portions of the other which I had seasoned at least a little.

Off to the hardware store. I bought a metal brush mounted on a drill bit. Some barkeepers friend, a squirt bottle, and two lion batteries later, success. Then canola, into the egg, 400, flip, coat, flip. Looking good now. 

Thanks.
    Mountain View, CA
  • CincyEgg
    CincyEgg Posts: 119
    Not sure if anyone else has done this, but I got a couple cast iron pieces from my cousin that were in pretty bad shape. Rust and baked on “crud” all over them.

I put both of them in my oven and ran the self cleaning cycle for about 3 hours.  They came out an ugly gray color after they cooled off. My oven was full of ash that was burned off of both pieces.

i just coated both with some vegetable oil and put them in a 400 degree oven for an hour. Did this 3-4 times over a 2 day period and both turned out like new. I love using cast iron as much as i possibly can.

Me and the family are headed to Gatlinburg this weekend and I plan on looking around the Lodge outlet store to see if i can pick up any interesting pieces.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    CincyEgg said:

Me and the family are headed to Gatlinburg this weekend and I plan on looking around the Lodge outlet store to see if i can pick up any interesting pieces.
    Small world....my wife is headed to Gattlinburg for the weekend...to attend a wedding. I doubt you see her at the Lodge outlet...she complains about all the cast I have now. Travel safe!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • CincyEgg
    CincyEgg Posts: 119
    northGAcock said:Small world....my wife is headed to Gattlinburg for the weekend...to attend a wedding. I doubt you see her at the Lodge outlet...she complains about all the cast I have now. Travel safe!
    Haha, well maybe she’ll be picking you up a thing or two at Lodge.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,716
    I love that storage rack!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    That storage rack is very cool! I dig that sauce pan as well. Very nice.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH