Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wing Challenges

Options
LesMo
LesMo Posts: 71
Pretty much everything I have tried cooking in the BGE comes out perfectly from the first time I tried it.   One exception has been chicken wings.  I have tried direct, indirect, varying temperature and cooking time and they have almost always been overcooked or undercooked.   I have most recently tried the 30-20-10 indirect method @ 350 degrees.  The were a bit overcooked so I tried 350 for 25-17-8.  This seemed to be almost spot on.  The real test will be whether I get the same results on future cooks.  (Wings were brined overnight and coated with flour,salt,pepper and smoked with apple wood)
Calhoun, GA - LBGE

Comments

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    I have good luck by simply grilling them until they look almost done.  Then I throw them in a big bowl, sauce them, and back on for a few minutes to tighten up the sauce.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Corn starch/24 hour dry in the fridge was a game changer for me with wings. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,339
    Options
    Indirect @425ish or direct at 350ish here. Raised in both cases. I usually just eyeball them
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Many ways to get there with wings-sounds like you are there.  If successful in replicating then just mess with the sauce for variety.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    When you say overcooked do you mean dry? I almost always use a brine anymore unless it’s a spur of the moment cook. My fave (right now) is buttermilk, garlic powder, black pepper and hot sauce. 4 hours works wonders. I rinse them and then dry them well with paper towels. Then whatever rub or sauce you want. 
  • PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 356
    Options
    There are 2 “normal” cooks that I haven’t done yet, wings and brisket. By normal , I mean things that I used to do on my brinkman smoker, pre-EGG.
    i am the only one in house that likes bone in wings, and the wife does a damn good brisket in the crock pot.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    I have good luck by simply grilling them until they look almost done.  Then I throw them in a big bowl, sauce them, and back on for a few minutes to tighten up the sauce.
    This.  The key is learning how to tell that they are almost done.  Then the cooking temp doesn't matter.  It takes about 30 minutes at 400 and about an hour at 300.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX