Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calzone on a Mini?

Fireball
Fireball Posts: 354
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking about buying a mini for traveling. With a nine and one half inch grill, for baking, how much of that grill should be covered with firebricks for thermal mass and proper burning of the lump?[p]With a full load of lump, how long could the temperature be maintained at 350 degrees? Thanks
Fireball

Comments

• Fireball, Where is the recipe for this Calzone. I would love to try it this weekend since it is gong to be nasty.[p]CWM

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Fireball,[p]I don't know the answer to your question (not an unusual situation...), but I do know that others have made some nice innovations with the mini. YB comes immediately to mind. I believe he has created an elevated grid for indirect cooking on the mini over a drip pan. Hopefully he will chime in. If not, I'll volunteer to help you search the archives for pics/descriptions.[p]I've been saying I want a mini for a long time now, but I'm now officially setting the deadline for next Jets season. I've just been reminded of it since I got my season ticket notice the other day. Ticket prices last year went from $40/seat anywhere in the stadium to $50/seat. This year, upper deck seats are up to $55 and mezzanines are up to $60! And they didn't even make the damn playoffs! After reading the letter and then seeing on TV how they released Brian Cox saving his $4.1 million in salary, I'm just a tad upset. Hopefully they'll find a way to throw some of that cash towards a big receiver...[p]Sorry...I'll get off the soapbox now...
    Cornfed

• Fireball
    Car Wash Mike,
    The one in the submitted recipe section works great in the oven in the house. Try it, and let me know what you think.
    Fireball

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Fireball,
    HI, I suggest you contact Julie A. She is an expert on the mini and I'll bet she will be glad to help you out.
    Heres hoping to see you guys in aug.
    ChefRD.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Cornfed, I cannot think of anyone who is more deserving of a Mini. Go get it. Soapbox?? Whaz zat??
    C~W

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Char-Woody,[p]I tend to start pontificating on things off topic when I'm distracted by things like work. That and I know I'm going to be a hundred dollars lighter for Jets tix this year...[p]Anyway, since I'll already be out some bucks for the tickets, what's another $129 for the mini? I know it will be worth it the first time I carry it to the games instead of carrying the small (I know, the small isn't that heavy, but remember I am a wimp...and I'll already be tired from carrying the beer...).[p]Have a great evening! I'm done with work for the night.[p]Cornfed
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Fireball,[p]I love my mini (as an addition to the medium), but I've never baked on it. Its great for grilling and searing. I have done a small boneless boston butt with some degree of success, but temp control was an issue. At Eggtoberfest (last October), Michael French ... or was it Brad Davidson? Well, anyway, they cooked/smoked ribs on the mini and they were GREAT!!!!! Get one, you'll love it![p]Smokey
  • Char-Woody
    Cornfed, you too! I am anxious to see ya draggin little Dragon Breath to the games..he's ready to rumble..Chowser!
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Fireball, 1 firebrick would be your maximum. that would cover full width with about 2.5 inches side air venting. There is a smaller 3.5 inch x 7 3/8 that is made in Canada and sold thru the Lowes Home improvement centers in the USA. Look for em in the BBQ sections. They are white ceramic. You could use em either singular or double em up.
    They are about 1/2" thick.
    Good luck..
    C~W
    Item name is FlameBrik Gas BBQ Bricks.

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Cornfed,[p] Just remember, mini egg, mini pieces. LOL [p] Earl
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Fireball,[p] I have never tried to use a firebrick in my mini. Just high temps, get one, you'll love it.[p]Earl
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Car Wash Mike,[p]I've cooked a bunch of Calzones on the egg and there is almost nothing better in my opinion. Cook 'em indirect over a high heat. Be careful when you're cooking them that none of the calzone hangs over the edge of the pan as the heat coming around the edge of the pan will char the crust pretty quickly and with that burnt smoke in the egg, the crust seems to pickup that smell amazingly quickly. Just a note as I've eaten a few burnt smoke tasting calzones as a result of this oversight on my part. I've linked the calzone recipe I put in the recipe section, its a real favorite in my family.[p]The dough recipe I've used is there also. Good luck and hope they come out well for you. Let me know if you try them, I'd be interested in your results.
    Troy

[ul][li]Calzone Recipe[/ul]
  • Pug
    Pug Posts: 57
    Car Wash Mike,
    I have to agree with sprinter on the Calzones. They are one of my favorite things on the egg. I only have a medium BGE which is probably a good thing at this point. I tend to over stuff my calzones. I am not sure a mini BGE will hold them. :-)[p]Steve

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    minicook.jpg
    <p />Fireball,
    To cook slow on the mini egg i use a 8 1/2" pie pan with a extra grate,here is a picture Kenny G posted for me one time.[p]Larry

[ul][li]Mini egg[/ul]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Fireball,[p]Puj was kind enough to assist me (thanks Mark) in obtaining two (2) 8" diameter by 1/2" thick pizza stones and several 1" spacers for use in my mini. Spacing the stacked stones so that the top stone is about a 1/4" above the opening lip will give you a top temp of around 425-450°F and a burn time of more than 1 hour with a full load of lump (2 handfuls!).[p]I haven't experimented with 350°F, nor using a single stone. I do believe that a single stone would work well for shorter baking times as the fire is never really big (small space to heat).[p]Spin

• Fireball
    Fireball,
    Thank you everyone for your guidance. Just a little more study now and I see a Mini in my future.
    Fireball

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Okay, okay, Fireball; rattle the bushes enough & I'll come out! [p]I am not a baker, which is sad when one considers the equipment that I have available....
    I have never used fire bricks on any egg. I have one of the "plate setters" for the large & a pizza stone ( which I now realize I left in Rockford).
    On the mini I have amassed some odd combinations of pans & racks & skillets that serve my purposes for grilling indirect or pan frying. I do have a tiny Lodge Dutch oven that I never seasoned properly & is rusting. If you would lke to try to recondition it, it is yours, Fireball. Just send me a UPS address. Additionally, I have found the little aluminum pans that Weber sells as grease drip pans for their gas grills are invaluable for the mini. [p]Go ahead and buy one, There are a grillion other worse ways to blow 120+ bucks.... JCA

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    I have a West Bend Slow Cooker, which is a rectangular type of crock pot. It came with a little rack that I use on the mini over a drip pan. I had a steel rack made for grilling shrimp but it ended up as a grate for the large. The mini grill grate fits on the BG Chiminea.
    I finally made it back to Rockford to pick up the eggs from the "Taste of the Caribbean". I wish you had seen the back of my truck loaded with the BGEs and the chiminea. I could only imagine what would happen if someone ran into me. All the King's horses....