Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas for BBQ Nerds- The Texas Monthly Top 50 Guide is hot off the presses

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    How many of those places have you managed to visit?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    HeavyG said:
    Might be easier to ask how many he hasn't visited.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Thanks for the link.  Being as how I'm a foreigner I haven't gotten that link from Texas monthly (although I am a subscriber) but I definitely appreciate it.  I really do need to organize a more extensive road trip this fall.  Every meal a banquet is the norm.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    So.. Snow's, eh?
    NOLA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Valentina’s didn’t even get a number.  I need to get out more.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    The link goes to last year's list (June 2017)?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HeavyG said:
    Most of the top 10 but still have not made it to snows (#1). They are open Saturday only starting at 8am until they run out of meat. They are 2 hrs from my house in the middle of nowhere. I’ll get there one day but I’d better hurry. Tootsie (the pitmaster is 83 years old)! 

I don’t  get out to east tx much so I haven’t hit bodacious either. Still some meat in the bone but we are in a target rich environment right here in Austin. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited March 2018
    caliking said:
    Didn’t catch that. Showed up in my email today. Looks like they won an award for it and they reposted to pimp the award. My bad (still fun to read) 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Legume
  • TX Monthly is going to do a special BBQ issue soon - probably trying to warm up folks for that. But yes, this is the old 2017 list
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    caliking said:
    Didn’t catch that. Showed up in my email today. Looks like they won an award for it and they reposted to pimp the award. My bad (still fun to read) 
    Kinda wondered why they didn’t mention the fire at Franklin’s. Makes sense now. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    caliking said:
    No worries. Was just wondering if there were (will be) any shake-ups this year. Killen was majorly p!issed about not making the top 10 last year.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Legume
    Isn’t this an every other year thing?
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    No worries. Was just wondering if there were (will be) any shake-ups this year. Killen was majorly p!issed about not making the top 10 last year.

We ate at Killen's high end steak house and we were super disappointed. Even the side dishes were terrible.
    Killens BBQ now has a place in the Houston Texans Stadium. Also very disappointing especially for the money they charge at the Stadium.
    But I do like their commercially available BBQ Rub.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    HeavyG said:
    Most of the top 10 but still have not made it to snows (#1). They are open Saturday only starting at 8am until they run out of meat. They are 2 hrs from my house in the middle of nowhere. I’ll get there one day but I’d better hurry. Tootsie (the pitmaster is 83 years old)! 

I don’t  get out to east tx much so I haven’t hit bodacious either. Still some meat in the bone but we are in a target rich environment right here in Austin. 
    I went to bodacious under the old ownership back in like 2006.  It was good then but I’m sure it’s at a new level now with the new owners.  
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Ima check out Heim BBQ in Fort Worth next month!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Big fan of Heim, but frankly I usually frequent places that aren't even on this list.  Spend quite a few $$$ up at Meat U Anywhere up in Westlake, it's a popular spot with my coworkers.  

Oh the dilemma, too many spots to eat BBQ at in TX  =)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...