Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Black Pizza

Options
Has anyone else experienced black bottoms on your pizza's? The first several pizza cooks were great, but the last 2 I get a totally burnt, like in black bottom. BUT...only the first pizza. If I put a second or third pizza on, they come out fine. 

My dome temps are about 550 and the stone usually measures about the same (using infared gun). I heat the stone up for about an hour,maybe a little less. 

I gotta figure out how to save that first pie.
Large BGE - 2017
PSWoo with extention
Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Maybe wipe the stone with a damp towel prior to launch? I’m not a pizza expert though. Lots of them on here. I assume you have a gap between the conveggtor and the stone. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    What kind of dough are you using?  Homemade or store bought?

I will say that I came in here hoping to learn about a new kind of pizza.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • run53
    run53 Posts: 121
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I make my own dough. No sugar. 

My setup is the woo with platesetter, so grate at felt level. Then 3 bricks, then stone on top of the 3 bricks, so stone is riased up into the dome.

It's crazy cause the first 5 or 6 pizza cooks were perfect for me and I think I'm using the same process.

Damp towel might work for first one. May try that.
    Large BGE - 2017
    PSWoo with extention
    Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Strange. If you figure it out make sure to come back and let us know. 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I always wipe the stone with a damp towel just before launch. Gets some of the heat out. 

Also, use two stones with a couple inch air gap, keeps the top stone from getting too hot 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    You can use something like Reynolds Pan Lining Paper, foil side down, for the first cook.  This is parchment on one side, foil on the other. I will use it for the first pie until it is almost done, then pull it out to get the final crisp on it. 

http://www.reynoldskitchens.com/pan-lining-paper/

• run53
    edited March 2018
    Options
    some good ideas here to try for the next pizza cook
    Large BGE - 2017
    PSWoo with extention
    Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    I got the dreaded black bottom once when I forgot to install the first deflector, a CGS spider/stone combo. You can check your crust at one/two minutes into the cook by lifting up with tongs/spatula.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    I always wipe the stone with a damp towel just before launch. Gets some of the heat out. 

Also, use two stones with a couple inch air gap, keeps the top stone from getting too hot 
    I agree, try an air gap.  You may be too high, where the heat is just blasting the bottom.

A damp towel does nothing over such a long bake time on the egg.  It's like icing turkey breasts...all in your head. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• run53
    Options
    Focker said:

I agree, try an air gap.  You may be too high, where the heat is just blasting the bottom.

A damp towel does nothing over such a long bake time on the egg.  It's like icing turkey breasts...all in your head. 
    So, you mean 2 stones plus the platesetter? 
    Large BGE - 2017
    PSWoo with extention
    Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options

here ya go, a japanese squid ink pie with seared ahi

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    run53 said:
    Focker said:

So, you mean 2 stones plus the platesetter? 
    No, i use the adjustable rig (from Tom at ceramic grill store https://ceramicgrillstore.com/) and i have two round stones. With your plate setter you could elevate the stone a few inches over the setter and accomplish the same thing. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• run53
    Options
    I think that's pretty much what I do. I have the woo with plate setter inserted. Then the stock grid at felt line, then 3 small bricks to raise the pizza stone about 2 inches over felt line. 
    Large BGE - 2017
    PSWoo with extention
    Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass
  • run53
    Options
    dmourati said:
    You can check your crust at one/two minutes into the cook by lifting up with tongs/spatula.
    I actually did this and it was already black on one part after just 2 minutes. Not sure what I could have done at that point. But the next pizza was perfect and i left it on there for a good 8-10 minutes. I can't imagine the stone cooled down that much after the first pizza. 
    Large BGE - 2017
    PSWoo with extention
    Thermopen and DOT

Boston, Mass
  • Plutonium
    Plutonium Posts: 230
    Options
    I've had variable results like this as well. I found it had a lot to do with the fire's state. With a well burning fire and timely preheated stone, I get consistent top/bottom crust cooking.

I've had occurrences where the fire was dying out and despite the egg still reporting 550-600F, the bottom burned before the top cooked. Here I guess there just isn't enough hot air flow from the fire to cook the top before burning the bottom.

Alternatively, I've had a raging fire where the top was burning before the bottom was crisp to my liking. I've found this balance to be the hardest part and consistency is key. If I need to cook several pizzas (5+) and I don't want to stress about it, I'll occasionally run a second setup in my indoor oven at 500F.

Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

here ya go, a japanese squid ink pie with seared ahi

Oh, yes, please!!
    NOLA