Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stabilizing temp

Options
If I am trying to set up my egg for a 250 smoke at what point should I put the plate setter in?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    I load all the hardware once the fire is around soft-ball sized (in one spot) for a low&slow cook.  Shut the dome, place the DFMT set the lower vent to around 1" open then dial it in.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    If you search the forum or google your question and include egghead forum, there will be a lot of information to digest. Different people use different methods. Do what works or makes sense to you. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I load everything right away. The platesetter can lower your temp drastically.

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    I load it as soon as the fire is going and i'm ready to shut the lid. The internal pieces will have no effect on the fire strength, and the sooner you get them up to temp, the sooner you can cook.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I agree with @GrillSgt that adding the plate setter later does tend to drop the temp for a little while, and I, too, used to put it in at the beginning.

But I hate to have my smoking wood being wasted when the fire's stabilizing, and I don't want to have to pull a hot plate setter out to add the wood when I'm ready.  So these days I start the fire with no plate setter and only a couple of pieces of wood buried in the lump, and let the temperature stabilize.  When I'm ready to cook, I put in a few more pieces of wood, arranged radially around the fire, add the plate setter, add the meat.  I know the temp will drop for a bit, but it comes back up and I feel like I'm maximizing the smoke getting to the meat that way.

Like others have said, though, different people do it differently, and it probably doesn't really matter, much.  Do what makes sense to you and it'll be fine.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I like to keep the platesetter out until I'm up to temp, because if I overshoot, it makes a good heat sink to go in the other direction.
    NOLA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I mix wood chunks throughout the lump so they'll smoke eventually. I put one chunk on top of the lit spot, sometimes hit it with the torch too so I can enjoy the smell right away. =) Once lit, add the platesetter, or whatever. 

Get the fire established, then close the vent(s) to the setting for your target temp. And wait. Takes longer to get to temp, but there's no chance of overshooting if you get sidetracked.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• theeggcellentchef
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. I am leaning towards putting the plate setter in once lit. I used to get temp established and then add platesetter but kept ending up chasing 250 and overshooting sometimes
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    If you are chasing temps it sounds like the fire is not established or you are not letting the egg do its thing. I let my medium come up to 300 then add PS, chunks, grate. Close and wait for the egg to come back to 300. Bottom open and no DW or DW wide open. Once I hit 300 the second time I make little adjustments to get to the cooking temp.