Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kakori kabab (Indian ground lamb shoulder)

20stone
20stone Posts: 1,961
edited March 2018 in EggHead Forum
Switching up creatures today, and came home with a former lamb shoulder. Most tandoor preps for lamb shoulder sit in marinade (to tenderize) for 7 - 8 hours, and I am not a patient man, so I fed it into the LEM and made “mince”. 

Phallic humor aside, these turned out awesome. As a bonus, I now have a fridge capable of holding 3 foot skewers, and have a couple more for tomorrow. 

Served with saag (sans ghee, since we are on the plan).

Recipe:

We we skipped the gram flour and egg (per the plan) but didn’t need the extra binder.  We are doing this again soon. 
(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
GE induction stove
Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Dude. Extra credit fo shizzle.

I'm not such a fan of those long marinades in an acidic medium that many Indian/Pakistani recipes call for. The meat turns into mush. And not such a fan of the binders (besan, wheat, eggs, etc) because again, the texture of the kabab suffers. So, you made the right call(s).

One of the best learning points I picked up from our hog adventures has been to knead the meat to release the myosin and make the mix tacky. No binders needed after that. 

Again, those look fabulous. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Looks good.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is LEM?
  • 20stone
    caliking said:
    One of the best learning points I picked up from our hog adventures has been to knead the meat to release the myosin and make the mix tacky. No binders needed after that. 
    Absolutely. The pig lessons I used were that (kneading the grind) and getting the meat really cold (almost frozen) before grinding, particularly since my second grind was super fine. 

gdenby said:
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is LEM?
    Sorry for speaking in code. LEM is a manufacturer of meat processing products including grinders and stuffers.  In this case, I was referring to my grinder:
    http://www.lemproducts.com/product/big-bite-grinder-8-head-size/butcher-meat-grinders

For those at home, this was super easy (if you have a meat grinder) and the flat skewers sit right in the felt.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Looks great! Adding to my to do list.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited March 2018
    Awesome, John.  Fleurdelirious went to DC last week and hooked up with some old friends who live there (from here) and he is in NOLA for work tomorrow and coming over for dinner, so I think I'll throw this out as part of a "lamb 2 ways" theme, and do some whole meat kababs.

Other option was some fresh blackened gulf filets with crawfish crab topping, which is a lot easier but I'm not one to take the short road.
    Beautiful cook.  I'd devour that.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Nice! 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • 20stone
    Awesome, John.  Fleurdelirious went to DC last week and hooked up with some old friends who live there (from here) and he is in NOLA for work tomorrow and coming over for dinner, so I think I'll throw this out as part of a "lamb 2 ways" theme, and do some whole meat kababs.
    I'd love to hear how it goes for you if you try it.  One other note, for the onions, we didn't have time to make "fried onion paste", and just suateed (and chilled) some diced onion, and ran it through withthe meat and spices on the second grind. Piece of cake all around. I haven't worked this little to cook something this good in awhile. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • On the list for sure
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    So if you use raw onions in that kind of mix, they will typically release a fair bit of water. And the meat doesn't stay together well. 

Either saute the onions first, or make sure you squeeze out as much water as you can , before adding to the meat mix. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Nice work...looks great.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.