Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Credit Card Hurts, But My Mouth Is Happy! (Thanks!?)

Options
TylerLane
TylerLane Posts: 15
edited March 2018 in EggHead Forum
New friends,

I have lurked on the forum for about 6 weeks.  Read, study, think, study, think...call ceramic grill store...think, read.

Then in a bourbon-aided moment order Rockwood from Ace — 4 bags, naturally.  (It was on sale!) 

WAIT

I don’t own a BGE or anything lump related!  I have a freaking rusty Charbroil propane.  (It’s your fault I ordered!)

Fast forward a week, ACE calls, I go in.  Egg’s are on sale will a bundle of accessories.  I leave with my credit card on fire and plenty of high-quality lump to make heat!  (It all happened so fast, I don’t know what to say.)

More bourbon, more forum, and a Thermapen and a large box of CGS goodies are on my front porch.  (Seriously people, you’re killing me.)

Saturday, prime brisket from Sam’s for my first cook.  (It was $2.98/lb, I wasn’t being overly foolish with my money...at least, not compared to the previous few days.)  I put it on at noon (long story), and went to bed about 5am.  Poor start. Overcooked.  (Thermapen wasn’t in yet.)  Point was super tasty, flat was a touch dry.  Made chili with the flat.  Amazing.  Cook saved.  My wife calls it two-day-chilli.  Accurate.  Delicious.

Now it’s the next Friday.  Day off.  Ribs today.  Oh, and a tenderloin that I received as a Christmas gift that I took out of the freezer a few days ago.  Fired up the egg, started meat prep, strung up the tenderloin, salt, pepper, sit.  Egg got hotter than I wanted for the ribs.  Put on the tenderloin while I tried to pull the temp down.  1 hour later, the tenderloin is 120F, I pull, and shift to the kitchen where I have a hot pan ready with a little butter and olive oil. Sear.  Rest.

HOLY FREAKING COW, I AM GOING TO WIN EVERY COOKING AWARD EVER.  (My last name is Beard after all...maybe James is a long lost cousin?)

(It was good.)

Ribs.

Got the temp down to 250-ish.  Kosmo’s Killer Bee Honey had been mustard’ed on about 90 minutes previous and refrigerated. Time to throw them on.  2.5 hours later, foil with margarine and honey and more Kosmos.  Another hour, pull, unwrap, sop with Head Country sauce (I live in OKC, Head Country is our groove), another 1.5 until it toothpicks and folds to forum standards.  Rest about 15.

STOP THE FREAKING PRESSES!

I’d like to thanks my producer — wait, wrong show.

Best ribs I’ve ever eaten.  I don’t usually order ribs — I’m a brisket guy — but still!  Wow!

So thanks to all you egg heads.  You’ve taught me all I know.  Somehow I feel more powerful today.  Again, thank you all!

Sincerely,

Tyler (call me James) Beard

Comments

• g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Great first post. Welcome to the obsession. You are just getting started. Glad to have you apart of the community. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Welcome!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Welcome. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!  Amazing job!  You're off to a much faster, higher quality start than mine, a number of years ago, and I was just as excited as you are.  You have years and years of wonderful food ahead -- keep on truckin'!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Welcome aboard and off to a great start.....sorry your wallet hurts.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,333
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, continue to have fun.
    Talk about pedal to the metal right out of the gate.  Great writing right there.  Most eggcellent.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    edited March 2018
    Options
    well done with the intro. I love a modest guy. “James” LOL
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    Thats a lot of words!! Nice pic and welcome
    O-Town, FL

• Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    Options
    I’m sorry is all I can say...
    Madison, AL
  • Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    Options
    Oh yea congrats as well?!?
    Madison, AL
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Welcome!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    You sound like you’ve been here for a while.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    Welcome aboard!  Nice start.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
     Wow - I haven’t been around here long enough to be comfortable welcoming a first post.  But dang, that’s a great one and welcome aboard!! 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Nice 1st post!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    You’re off to a great start!  Keep it up and the $$$ you dropped so far will seem like it was well worth it!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Welcome.  Glad you’re loving it! 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • TylerLane
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome everyone!  I’m dropping a pork butt on right now, going to try turbo.  We’ll see.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Nice write up and welcome! 

What size did you get?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I think he's a Russian Agent assimilating.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• TylerLane
    Options
    I think he's a Russian Agent assimilating.
    No stinking commy spy could ever become so fluent speaking ‘merican that he could use mustard as a verb. 
  • TylerLane
    Options

Hans61 said:
    Nice write up and welcome! 

What size did you get?
    8.5 lb’er. Didn’t realize until I was opening the package that it was boneless. Kind of made it a little flappy floppy. Great shape in the package, less so on the cutting board — not terrible.  Tied it and tooth picked it a little, and she looks right. Mustard and Kosmo again. Lots of sugar in Kosmo so I’m keeping the heat at 325F. That sound about right?

This is my best fire to date. Temperature is staying very tidy. No wind today, which I presume is the main factor.  I do have a SmoBot on order. (Guess how that happened?)
  • kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Options
    I feel your pain on the credit card front James. Nice intro to the forum. I look forward to your posts! Welcome aboard!!

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Welcome to the Dark Side!

I know you're new, but: how did you open your bags of lump?   ;)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• TylerLane
    Options
    Botch said:
    Welcome to the Dark Side!

I know you're new, but: how did you open your bags of lump?   ;)
    :D

As a small child, I became proficient at the pull-the-(correct)-string method.  My dad raced homing pigeons (still does), and their feed came in strung bags.  I opened a LOT of bags.  I’m pretty good.

So call me what you will, but I’m a string puller.
  • TylerLane
    Options
    So a serving of moderately humble butt pie came my way today.  It was decent, but not worthy of my long lost cousin.  A little dry.  A little flavor.  Sauce helped, but seemed like cheating.  Eatable.  Decent, maybe good even, but not great.

Question: I’ve done two long cooks, and both were similarly blasé.  Both probed like butter on most of the meat, but I tried to hang in there for a stubborn section that remained less-than-buttery when probed.  Both were longer-than-normal cooks as a result of the pursuit of butter-through-out probing.  Am I making a mistake by not being ok with buttery in 80-90%?  Is that pull time?  Both longer cooks I opted not to wrap.  Perhaps that I my mistake?

Tyler (call me Jim) Beard

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Welcome aboard! 

It sounds like you’re well on your way to swinging for the fence. And as you are probably figuring out, the egg is the cheapest part of all this. Wait until a new patio gets categorized as your latest “accessory “ :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.