Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Squogs!!

HeavyG
HeavyG Posts: 10,324
Was flipping thru the latest KCBS newsletter today and came across a full page ad that made me think, for a moment, that I was reading something on The Onion.

I wonder if these are better than the Artisanal Firewood?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBb9O-aW4zI

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    :lol:
    Do they come in "center cut"?   =)  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Wonder how many idiots will buy them ?
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Please give your review once you’ve burned them.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Do they also sell gluten free water?
    Near San Francisco in California
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    If they were pressure treated pine, I'd buy and cook with them right away!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    edited March 2018
    Squogs! Pure genius.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Why not just make giant sized pellets 
  • baychilla
    Those will be introduced as soon as they make a giant sized pellet grill to burn them.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited March 2018
    I thought a squog was for sure gonna be some new kind of oyster.

This is even better.

I bet if I made these suckers bluetooth enabled and created an app so that bbq folk could pull 10 key metrics in real time from each squog while it was burning I could sell a ton of 'em.

Watch for my kickstarter campaign.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    the hand hewn ones smoke better
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    It’s the nooks and crannies.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Actually, this may be of interest to the competition teams that cook on offsets.  It would reduce variability.  The team I occasionally cook with is very picky about their wood.  A single source.  Cut into 14" lengths.  Must be debarked.  Then cut into 2-3" splits.  Then pressure-washed.  Then sit to dry for a certain amount of time.  Then and only then can it be used for a cook.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    Foghorn said:
    Actually, this may be of interest to the competition teams that cook on offsets.  It would reduce variability.  The team I occasionally cook with is very picky about their wood.  A single source.  Cut into 14" lengths.  Must be debarked.  Then cut into 2-3" splits.  Then pressure-washed.  Then sit to dry for a certain amount of time.  Then and only then can it be used for a cook.  
    Is there a blessing by a local priest stage at any point?  That’s the only thing that seems to be missing here.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I just don't get the obsession.  I want food made with passion that tastes good.  That makes me happy.  To each his own. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Foghorn said:
    Wow. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Double You Tee F
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    @Legume, @JohnInCarolina, @GATraveller, @The Cen-Tex Smoker, and maybe @ColtsFan (I'm not sure if you were referring to my post or not),

Yeah, this level of competition cooking is not for everyone.  It's not for me.  I like hanging out with them 1-3 times a year.  I pick up some pointers and principles that I can apply to my own cooks.  I also see a lot of stuff and think "no way am I incorporating that into one of my cooks because that much compulsion takes the fun out of this enjoyable pastime."  (Like 8 layers of brisket rub or multiple layers of brisket glaze, etc)

They do it 20-28 times a year.  They've won a few competitions in all categories and in all-around (Grand Champion).  One year (2015 I think) they entered 24 competitions and their ribs finished in the top 5 twelve times and between 6-10 another nine times.  Lately, they haven't done as well, although they did just get 9th in ribs out of about 300 teams at the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo Cookoff.  So, they know their stuff and there is a lot to learn by hanging out with them - and doing so is fun.  But I'm not really interested in becoming a full-fledged team member.  

But having a good consistent wood source might be of interest to some of the teams.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Foghorn said:
    Fire the pressure washing guy.

He must be slacking if they haven’t done so well recently. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Foghorn said:
    @Legume, @JohnInCarolina, @GATraveller, @The Cen-Tex Smoker, and maybe @ColtsFan (I'm not sure if you were referring to my post or not),

Yeah, this level of competition cooking is not for everyone.  It's not for me.  I like hanging out with them 1-3 times a year.  I pick up some pointers and principles that I can apply to my own cooks.  I also see a lot of stuff and think "no way am I incorporating that into one of my cooks because that much compulsion takes the fun out of this enjoyable pastime."  (Like 8 layers of brisket rub or multiple layers of brisket glaze, etc)

They do it 20-28 times a year.  They've won a few competitions in all categories and in all-around (Grand Champion).  One year (2015 I think) they entered 24 competitions and their ribs finished in the top 5 twelve times and between 6-10 another nine times.  Lately, they haven't done as well, although they did just get 9th in ribs out of about 300 teams at the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo Cookoff.  So, they know their stuff and there is a lot to learn by hanging out with them - and doing so is fun.  But I'm not really interested in becoming a full-fledged team member.  

But having a good consistent wood source might be of interest to some of the teams.
    I'm sure they're a wealth of knowledge and really fun group to hang with. In my mind it's kind of like folks who are in to mountaineering. Its in their blood and they can't hardly get enough. I appreciate it and could learn a sh1t ton from them but it's not what drives me. Total respect. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • baychilla
    Legume said:
    It’s the nooks and crannies.
    In that case I'll use some artesian English muffins for smoke.  Should I use the wifi or bluetooth ones?
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    Those look exactly like the left overs from a pallet mill in town... you can load your truck with them for cheap and heat the house
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Foghorn said:

It’s kinda funny that a bunch of science/ engineer type of folks cannot even see the benefits of eliminating variables.  It’s a very important ingredient in any competitive event, including all sports. Hmm? Like you said, not for me either, but I can clearly see how the serious comp guys would eat this up. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    00 flour is a game changer.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    My round firewood is constantly rolling away from me.  This solves that problem.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    My round firewood is constantly rolling away from me.  This solves that problem.
    Or just move to flat land.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Foghorn said:
    You can't possibly imagine my sense of inadequacy, I experience  now as it pertains to BBQ.

I just throw my precut, non debarked, non pressurized washed, pre split peach chunks, which sit in a plastic tub on the floor of my garage, onto my Rockwood, for babybacks, or pulled pork. I use the same quality standards for my pecan with beef.

My level of quality control has seemingly diminished greatly since I buy alcohol by the case. Likely to get worse, prior to getting better.

Hats off to OCD BBQ. Hope they win more, to make the investment in time, money, and emotional distress, worth it.

To me, it is just my ribs and my pulled pork. Nobody complains too much with the results.

If they do, I just pour them another glass of wine.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    YukonRon said:
    Foghorn said:
    You can't possibly imagine my sense of inadequacy, I experience  now as it pertains to BBQ.

I just throw my precut, non debarked, non pressurized washed, pre split peach chunks, which sit in a plastic tub on the floor of my garage, onto my Rockwood, for babybacks, or pulled pork. I use the same quality standards for my pecan with beef.

My level of quality control has seemingly diminished greatly since I buy alcohol by the case. Likely to get worse, prior to getting better.

Hats off to OCD BBQ. Hope they win more, to make the investment in time, money, and emotional distress, worth it.

To me, it is just my ribs and my pulled pork. Nobody complains too much with the results.

For the OCD it would be stress to NOT do all the BS. Get it? I’m in your camp for sure, but know those who simply cannot let the small stuff slide. Just don’t pay those types by the hour. Pro tip!
  • YukonRon
    edited March 2018
    YukonRon said:
    Foghorn said:

For the OCD it would be stress to NOT do all the BS. Get it? I’m in your camp for sure, but know those who simply cannot let the small stuff slide. Just don’t pay those types by the hour. Pro tip!
    I do get it. Years of therapy and medication has helped me. That is exactly why I mentioned emotional distress. Maybe as much for them as their loved ones.....
    Trust me on this.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky