Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ever notice your spices moving?

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Keeps the spices from clumping.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,937
    Meh.  It’s more friggin protein.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Somewhere in the mid-eighties I was home alone, and decided to order a pizza with anchovies only; I've always heard people freak out about anchovies on a pizza but, personally, I had no idea what they tasted like.  The girl taking my order even asked, "Are you sure??"  
    Pizza arrived, I opened the box, it looked and smelled okay.  I grabbed the "green can" out of the cupboard (this was before my "food snob" step) and sprinkled it on.  The cheese must've had one of the above insects, I could see the parmesan wiggling, and I freaked out.  Left the house and had a taco or something.
    30+ years later, I still haven't had an anchovy pizza.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    Botch said:
    Somewhere in the mid-eighties I was home alone, and decided to order a pizza with anchovies only; I've always heard people freak out about anchovies on a pizza but, personally, I had no idea what they tasted like.  The girl taking my order even asked, "Are you sure??"  
    Pizza arrived, I opened the box, it looked and smelled okay.  I grabbed the "green can" out of the cupboard (this was before my "food snob" step) and sprinkled it on.  The cheese must've had one of the above insects, I could see the parmesan wiggling, and I freaked out.  Left the house and had a taco or something.
    30+ years later, I still haven't had an anchovy pizza.  
    You're missing out. Nothing like a wood fired pizza with a little anchovies on it. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I'm in the "its more protein" camp. We find weevils in the flour, beans, lentils, rice every few years or so, especially in stuff brought back from India. Just rinse them out. 

What's odd is that I've never seen, nor heard of, bugs in cayenne, pepper, paprika,  etc. We usually stick a couple of bay leaves and dried cayenne peppers in the dry goods in the pantry, and it does a good job of keeping the little critters away. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    WeberWho said:
    You're missing out. Nothing like a wood fired pizza with a little anchovies on it. 
    Nor one of my meat loafs! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,937
    Just think about it: the bugs have had a steady diet of paprika.  They probably taste like... paprika.  

Most of us cook with pretty high temps.   We’re not sprinkling these spices on top of ice cream or Greek yogurt.

So the bugs die a fiery death on their way to becoming part of the char on your ribs.  Nobody’s gonna die from eating these little burned up beetle carcasses.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Just think about it: the bugs have had a steady diet of paprika.  They probably taste like... paprika.  

Most of us cook with pretty high temps.   We’re not sprinkling these spices on top of ice cream or Greek yogurt.

So the bugs die a fiery death on their way to becoming part of the char on your ribs.  Nobody’s gonna die from eating these little burned up beetle carcasses.
    Eggzactly.

And if you’re too lazy to rinse them out, throw some cumin seeds in there. Hard to tell bugs from cumin :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    if you want to see bugs go to a grape juice factory, or better yet, the jello plant. cockroaches running around the rim before the cap goes on. gelatin must be 50 percent bugs, the other 50 percent is disgusting =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    A friend lived in rural Minnesota and during his school years worked summers at a Green Giant plant sorting beans. Part of his job was to pick out any bugs as the beans passed by on the conveyor. He was paid a bounty of a couple of cents for every bug he found and removed.

So every morning on the way to work he would walk through a field and fill his pockets with bugs. Then he would "find" them during the day at work. He said it was common practice -- all the kids did that.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    if you want to see bugs go to a grape juice factory, or better yet, the jello plant. cockroaches running around the rim before the cap goes on. gelatin must be 50 percent bugs, the other 50 percent is disgusting =)
    Makes me glad that I made my own strawberry tequila jam this year.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    I put a bunch of cayenne peppers on the cupboard to dry, dried them and put them in a zip loc. Couldn’t believe it a few weeks later when I went to get some to find Indian meal moth larvae. 

I used be an exterminator. Bugs don’t bother me much, I’ve seen some pretty bad places but I still pitched them. Had lots more peppers. Dried them in the oven and vac packed. All good. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.