Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I have made 57 za's on Roccbox with propane; uuni website still says gas burner coming soon....

Honestly i thought uuni would have fufilled its coming soon promise by now that it made about a year ago regarding gas burner for US

So glad i ditched both uunis and picked up a roccbox.....

I have not checked into whether uuni improved its communication as i have no reason to now.   Im hoping youtube replies arent the way they inform potential customers on updates to product delivery dates.  For those of you with an uuni i hope youre enjoying it and having much success with it.   

Maybe uuni wil have gas burner avail for purchase in US by memorial day?

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I think you made a wise choice...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    I've yet to even try the wood burner on the RB.  I suppose I will at some point, just to explore the difference.  But I'm very happy with the gas. 

Have you settled on a dough recipe you like? 

Oh and, pics or it didn't happen!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    That’s a lot of pizza
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Honestly i thought uuni would have fufilled its coming soon promise by now that it made about a year ago regarding gas burner for US

So glad i ditched both uunis and picked up a roccbox.....

I have not checked into whether uuni improved its communication as i have no reason to now.   Im hoping youtube replies arent the way they inform potential customers on updates to product delivery dates.  For those of you with an uuni i hope youre enjoying it and having much success with it.   

Maybe uuni wil have gas burner avail for purchase in US by memorial day?
    A couple days ago on Twitter the word from Uuni was that they will be available in the US "this year". So...maybe Memorial Day, maybe Labor Day, maybe Xmas Day. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    I'm a member of a FB group that is for all kinds of wood-fired ovens, including the Uuni, the RB, and standard wood fired ovens as well.  There are several converts from Uuni to RB.  What I've yet to see is someone going the other way.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    How much gas do you use on a pizza cook? Do you just have a 20lb propane hooked up?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    thetrim said:
    How much gas do you use on a pizza cook? Do you just have a 20lb propane hooked up?
    I do and from what I can tell, it uses surprisingly little gas.  @westernbbq has cooked quite a bit more than any of us on this thing though and he might have a better idea of how many shots a given tank yields.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I'm saving up for a Forno Bravo.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    It probably won't be long before the Chinese makers start flooding the market with more of these small, portable, pizza ovens at half the going price.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    I'm a member of a FB group that is for all kinds of wood-fired ovens, including the Uuni, the RB, and standard wood fired ovens as well.  There are several converts from Uuni to RB.  What I've yet to see is someone going the other way.

It seems (at least from the outside looking in) that it's the better mouse trap, but damn at $600+ just for pizzas...
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Jeremiah said:

It seems (at least from the outside looking in) that it's the better mouse trap, but damn at $600+ just for pizzas...
    Nominally you can cook lots of other things on it.  The Roccbox website has a ton of non-Pizza recipes.  I haven’t tried any myself, except for the Naan, which came out just ok for me.  But I think that was the fault of the Indian and not the arrow.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    There is an interesting 1-hour pizza dough recipe in a recent copy of Cooks Illustrated.  The tips are: use lots of yeast, warm water, add vinegar, sugar, beer (to boost fermentation flavors) and form the pie and do the only rise on the formed pie. 
    It's in the current issue - March&April in case anyone cares to track down the whole article. Here's a taste:

• nolaegghead
    that's it!
    RB actually has their own same day Pizza recipe.  I’ve tried it at Cen-Tex’s house and it’s pretty good in terms of texture.  Not much flavor though.

That recipe looks interesting but it’s definitely designed for a home oven cook. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2018
    There is an interesting 1-hour pizza dough recipe in a recent copy of Cooks Illustrated.  The tips are: use lots of yeast, warm water, add vinegar, sugar, beer (to boost fermentation flavors) and form the pie and do the only rise on the formed pie. 
    Another clusterfock of a recipe from ATK. 
    Why don't you try it, rolling pin, parchment sandwich, and all?  Don't forget to spray it. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• nolaegghead
    Focker said:
    Another clusterfock of a recipe from ATK. 
    Why don't you try it, rolling pin, parchment sandwich, and all?  Don't forget to spray it. 
    Gee wiz.  Iowa Guy Fieri "fell" on a toy car or something.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    I've yet to even try the wood burner on the RB.  I suppose I will at some point, just to explore the difference.  But I'm very happy with the gas. 

Have you settled on a dough recipe you like?  9

Oh and, pics or it didn't happen!
    Absolutely ive settled on a recipe Brotha John   see below: plus the margherita that is always a hit...

2000g Bread Flour

64G Salt

130G sourdough starter
    1400g h20

4g yeast

Mix dry ingredients, pour starter in water then add to dry ingredients....mix by hand for 2 mins until shaggy mass.  Cover with wet towel, let sit for 20 mins   then mix by hand again for 5 or so mins until its a silky smooth ball.   Leave in bowl covered with wet towel in 72F kitchen for 12 to 18 hrs.   Warmer temp shorter rise, lower temp longer rise...Pour dough onto floured surface, use scraper to make 15 dough balls.  Do 4 folds, NSEW and put in proofing box for 2 hrs

Then gently form balls into pies and use knuckles to gently spread em out.  Dress with toppings and be a god when youre done.  I made 15 pies for a tailgate, then i made 30 for super bowl party and in between made 12 for afc nfc title games .  The middle batch was best .  Making za next thurs nite and really looking forward to that

Havent gotten my cooks illustratednyet but that recipen looks a bit complex to me

Complexity is the enemy of reliability.  

Also ive not used the stick burner for my rb yet either!  And i have about 100 years worth of mesquite sticks to burn which would be hi heat, good wood fired flavor and sustainable...
  • JohnInCarolina
    @westernbbq man that is a good amount of dough at once!

Your hydration is quite a bit higher than mine.  I’ve been going with 62%.  I’ve also been exploring with the size of the dough balls I use - going with around 200g these days.
  • westernbbq
    @JohnInCarolina, i actually am looking at toning hydration down to 65....and with the two pyrex containers i have plus two proofing boxes, im able to make 30 dough balls at a time
    Mine avg just under 300g apiece, i think
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035

Did a surf and turf last night, used CI pan at full blast -- trying to replicate the crust you get at a good steakhouse where everything is cooked under huge broilers.

Tenderloin was excellent, even if I overcooked it a bit for my taste. Shrimp were really good.

This is a really fun toy.

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • westernbbq
    That food looks amazing.  How long did you cook it for? Amd did you preheat ci?
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035

Thanks @westernbbq

I preheated at full blast for probably 30-40 minutes. It was in the 700-800 degree range. I also preheated the cast iron till it was smoking.

I am terrible about measuring time but i would guess a couple of minutes per side on the filets. They cooked very fast.

Shrimp were done in the blink of an eye.

On pizzas I've had success with a 200g dough ball. I got going too fast and forgot to take pics but I cranked out 8 pizzas in no time for a small crowd last weekend. 00 dough, good cheese, simply topped, mmmmmmmmmm

This is a really fun toy.

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • westernbbq
    @TTC, i agree the rb is a super fun toy.  Easy to use, dual fuel capable and broiling and making za are what ill use it for...mainly making za:-)   

i might try salmon seared in ci pannin rb this weekend.  If i do, ill put up some picts here of the results