Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brunswick Stew Questions

BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm planning to try the Brunswick Stew recipe posted here in the submitted recipes section. I have a couple of questions about it. First, it calls for 1 lb Lean Beef and 1 lb Lean Pork. What cuts of beef and pork would you recommend? I was thinking of using country style ribs for the pork. Do you cut up the chicken first, or just smoke the whole thing for an hour or so, then add it to the pot? Also, it calls for 1 1/2 bottles of catsup. What sized bottles? And do I really want to use that much catsup in a stew? I've never heard of this before (of course, a few years ago I would have told you you were crazy if you slathered your bbq meat with yellow mustard before rubbing it, and I almost always use yellow mustard now).

Comments

• SloMo
    SloMo Posts: 21
    BluesnBBQ,
    There is another Brunswick Stew post in the 99 Eggtober Fest Recipes "Reds Brunswick Stew" you can look at it is different. The main thing to remember about stew is add what you like it can contain anything.
    I do recomend pre cooking all of the meats and then cutting up into small chuncks about the size of your thumb nail.
    I will try to post the link to "Reds Brunswick Stew" but if I mess up goto the BGE Main Page and click Recipes.
    SloMo[p]

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    BluesnBBQ, just remember that Brunswick Stew (like most stews) were created as a way to use left over meat. As a result it almost always used cooked meats and usually not very consistent in their type. As for measurements that call for a bottle of something, I most always try for the size that restaurants use on their tables since that is where a good many of these recipes came from. I have a recipe for chicken stew that my grandfather passed along that calls for a bottle of Worchestshire sauce, a jar of mustard, a few cans of creamed corn, a small handful of salt and a couple of small hens. We spend most of our family reunions trying to decipher what it was he really meant. Bottom line is that we all cook it somewhat differently and each one tastes pretty good. Try the Brunswick Stew recording exactly how much of each ingredient you use. Then start modifying (and recording) the amounts if you don't like the way it tastes. Chances are you'll think your first try is pretty good but you think you'd like it better with slightly more or slightly less of some ingredient. You'll then be creating your own signature Brunswick Stew.[p]But when you share the recipe, go back to the original. Why take away someone else's fun!

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    SloMo,
    As I sit here writng this I am enjoying a bowl of Reds Stew with a BBQ sandwich. The only thing I do different is add a couple, three chipole peppers to "Kick it up a Notch". A 7-8 lb. Butt should give ample meat with plenty left over for sandwichs. I also Brine my Butt using the 42 Degree cider chop recipe, then coat it in JJ"s rub. Have used this recipe for several years to nothing but rave reviews.
    Mark

• Thanks for all of the suggestions. I saw another recipe that called for chicken and salt pork, but I think I'll go with the butt. If I have time, I'll try it this weekend.

• Mark,O.K, I'll bite. What is the 42 degree cider chop recipe?[p]
  • Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Dr.Seuss,
    This a recipe I found on this forum several years ago.
    Actually it was a link from the San Francisco Cronicle dated 3-25-98 "Ready for Brine Time". It is my understanding 42 Degrees is a restaurant in San Francisco and this is there brining recipe for pork chops, although I have applied it to Butts with great success. I want to say this link still shows up from time to time on this forum. If I had it I would post it, try Cat she may have it.
    Mark

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Mark,[p]Here is the link to the article.[p]Spin

[ul][li]Cider brine[/ul]