Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flame boss question

not sure the fan is working because the screen shows 0 for fan speed. Is there a way to adjust the speed?

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    It only turns on the fan when it needs it.  If pit temp is above the set temp, the fan should be off.
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    I realize that, but pit is set on 250 and temp is around 180. Showing 0 fan speed

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Dawgtired
    Never mind everyone, it finally came on.

Ronald Reagan

• I have a flameboss question too that I’ll add in here... do y’all usually let close the egg and put fan on right after lighting or do you leave egg open a while to build up a fire? I left it open the last couple cooks and it took a while to get back down to 225. 
  • Dawgtired
    edited March 2018
    It’s a lot easier to get the temp up than down. I leave it open until it gets starts to get close, but never over the desired temp.

Ronald Reagan

• CincyEgg
    CincyEgg Posts: 119
    Guess this is a piggybacking thread now.

I’m using a 300 with my iPhone and it works seamlessly. Just wondered if there was a way to make it set off an alert on my phone rather than just the controller outside that I can’t hear when the alarm does go off. 
  • I have a flameboss question too that I’ll add in here... do y’all usually let close the egg and put fan on right after lighting or do you leave egg open a while to build up a fire? I left it open the last couple cooks and it took a while to get back down to 225. 
    I just light the fire, close the dome and let FB do the rest. 
  • CincyEgg said:

I’m using a 300 with my iPhone and it works seamlessly. Just wondered if there was a way to make it set off an alert on my phone rather than just the controller outside that I can’t hear when the alarm does go off. 
    It does on the 200. Can’t see why you can’t on the 300. Hopefully a 300 user chimes in. 
  • CincyEgg said:

It does on the 200. Can’t see why you can’t on the 300. Hopefully a 300 user chimes in. 
    I get the alerts on my phone but it doesn’t make a sound... just a notification on lock screen. I’m sure there’s a way to change it but I haven’t found it yet. 
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    I have a flameboss question too that I’ll add in here... do y’all usually let close the egg and put fan on right after lighting or do you leave egg open a while to build up a fire? I left it open the last couple cooks and it took a while to get back down to 225. 
    I light the egg and let it naturally get to around 200 then hook up the FB and set it for 230-250 depending, that wat the fan isnt running alot and it builds up slowly imo.
    O-Town, FL

• CincyEgg said:

Go to controller tab and sound.  Works like a charm.  
    LBGE, Burgeoning Accessories
  • CincyEgg
    Go to controller tab and sound.  Works like a charm.  
    Does this enable it for the phone and the controller or just the controller? I’d noticed when I’d go outside to check on it, the controller’s alarm was going off but it didn’t create an alert on my iPhone which I was monitoring the temp on 
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    I have my FB200 set to text me when there is an issue. It works well. Can't remember how I set it up though...
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • Same issue here. In for a solution. 
    Atlanta, GA 

LBGE, Mini-Max, Mini, 1995 BGE Chiminea, 22" Blackstone, Weber Genesis E-310. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,331
    If you go to myflameboss and sign in, under profile you can enable text alerts. Enter your phone number and it will send a verification code. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Kevinboatright
    Kevinboatright Posts: 278
    edited March 2018
    ColtsFan said:
    If you go to myflameboss and sign in, under profile you can enable text alerts. Enter your phone number and it will send a verification code. 
    Worked like a charm. Thanks for the help. 
    I use Alexa to check the temp when I’m in the house. The grill is on the lower back porch I hate going down the stairs to check the temp. 

Now I’m in to see when other FlameBoss users plug in the fan or start using it. I’ve tried multiply different ways and always seem to overshoot my desired temp. 240-250. 

Any idea if using a SS or CI grid makes a difference with the pit probe temp? 
    Atlanta, GA 

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,331
    @Kevinboatright I wouldn't think the type of grate you have would make a difference. I'm a new flameboss user, but I usually light a single spot with a Rutland fire starter, leave the dome open, and once it burns out I shut the dome adjust the smokeware cap, let it get to 150-200* and plug in the fan. 

I give the egg a good hour to come to temp/burn off VOC's before I put on the meat
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    I think as long as you have a solid light on your fire, the FB will get you there regardless of individual method.

I light the coals in one spot, let them get to about a softball sized area of red, and I'll put in all the hardware and get the FB going. This gives me time to  finish any prep. Once I have a stable temperature and thin blue smoke, I'm in the business of cooking. 

My FB has never let me down. It's a really good unit. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • CincyEgg
    ColtsFan said:
    This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks. The notifications on my phone drove me crazy because they didn’t make any kind of alert noise so I would just have to keep checking through the app on my phone to see when I was close to my target meat temp
  • Kevinboatright
    Kevinboatright Posts: 278
    edited March 2018
    ColtsFan said:
    @Kevinboatright I wouldn't think the type of grate you have would make a difference. I'm a new flameboss user, but I usually light a single spot with a Rutland fire starter, leave the dome open, and once it burns out I shut the dome adjust the smokeware cap, let it get to 150-200* and plug in the fan. 

I give the egg a good hour to come to temp/burn off VOC's before I put on the meat
    I’ll try anything new.  I usually start a fire in a single spot in the middle with a looftlighter.   Let the grill, pit temp, and all internals get to about 190-200 and put the FB fan on. Overshoots temp, comes back down and then thin blue smoke appeared and we’re ready to cook. 
    Atlanta, GA