Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - fishing rods

Options
Sping is almost here and I can't wait to get out and start fishing.  I need a new rod for crappie fishing. I have been looking at the St. Croix pan fish rods.  I was wondering if anyone has experience with these good or bad?  I don't want to spend a fortune on a rod but do not want a piece of junk either. Thanks for any input. 
LBGE And MINI Egg

Comments

• FredSanford
    Options
    St. Croix makes great rods. I've got 4 fly rods that are Avids or Legends, 8 or 10 avid bass rods and 6 legend tournament musky rods. They are all great, and for the money they are an awesome value.

I've not fished the pan fish rods but I do know that all of the St. Croix rods I have fished have been solid performers
  • Zeiger88
    Zeiger88 Posts: 171
    Options
    I have a st croix mojo bass and it’s probably the most sensitive rod I have ever used 
    BGE XL June 2017 Flameboss 300 February 2018 Mini max July 2018 Lima, Ohio 
  • CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    Options
    I had a St Croix and got rid of it for a Fenwick river runner. Wanted something with a little more backbone. The fenwick makes a great multi purpose ultra light. Great for Crappie and Small Mouth fishing. 
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Options
    I don't bother with the high end rods any more. I fish weekly and avg. rods made by Rapala or Quantum or others are just fine for the small to mid fish. I like being able to just throw it in a case, strap it to the rack on the quad, and head through the bush without worrying about it. Same goes for reels, $50 for a reel is plenty. I buy a new one every couple of years after I loose the handle screw or bend the bail. My gear gets covered in dust and mud and I've never lost a fish from a gear malfunction yet. I have a few friends that bought the Fenwick ultra lights for pan fish and they all have broken them at least once. No big deal with the life time warranty, but had to wait a couple weeks each time for a replacement. There is obviously some cheap junk out there, but lots of quality stuff for a good price. The fish can't see the rod anyway.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I have used an inexpensive Shakespear "UglyStik" for the last 16 years and love it. Before that my favorite was a snap apart rod. Reason: I could pull it apart and it would fit in my trunk until one day I slammed the trunk and broke 2 feet off the end!  :s:s:s
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I bought a Big Green Egg not a Charbroil Kamado.  Would you say there is a difference between an egg and Charbroil?  Most on this site would say there is no comparison I would agree.  

Regarding fishing rods, no difference. I fish almost daily, for sure 4 times a week in the summer.  I fish for leisure, competitively and for income from time to time when I guide.  I have done so for the greater portion of my 48 years.  Grew up on a lake and started fishing alone wading lakes in Minnesota at the age of 7-8, have fished professionally in national tournaments.  In the hands of a skilled angler or Cook, the tools carry value average joe's may not appreciate.

I actually have well over 40 St Croix Rods.  My opinion, educated as it is, could span various manufacturers: G Loomis, St Croix, Dobyns, Megabass, Edge, etc..... Take your pick they and some others not mentioned are fantastic tools.  

For the record, I would never, ever, support a mass produced product.  I like to support our economy.  A St Croix rod is touched by no fewer than 40 pairs of hands prior to shipping.  Northern Wisconsin resident craftspeople build a great product and offer warranties and replacement policies that should not be over looked.

The benefits of lighter and more sensitive are most appreciated when you fish a lot and learn the benefits each offers.  Lightweight not only lends to the rods overall ability to transmit vibrations, it is very beneficial when you fish 8-10 hours a day, it reduces fatigue.  I will add however that a high end rod is only one component to an effective high performance fishing tool. Line and reel also contribute.  The components on the rod are also very critical, Fuji, manufactures the finest guides and reel seats for freshwater fishing rods.  St Croix only uses the best components.  Custom Rod lengths and Flex profiles are customized to particular fishing applications. 

This is getting long, I could go on and on just like many of you could expound on the benefits of an Egg over a low end product.  Bottom line is, if you are a leisure fisherman that gets out a few times a year, mass produced rods will suffice.  If you have an appreciation for craftsmanship and high performance products, and want to be the most effective fisherman you can, no comparison can be made between and Ugly stick and even the lowest St Croix model rod.  None.

You will never regret a St Croix rod purchase.
  • grillingunner
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone. I really appreciate the responses
    LBGE And MINI Egg
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Options
    Between an egg and a charbroil yes, but an egg and a joe, no not really.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    st croix or carrot stix.  the dilema with a crappie rod is setting the hook if a big bass hits, a smaller sized bass rod will land the crappie. my favorite all around rod isnt made anymore, it was designed to cast light shrimp, soft tip, but had a good backbone for setting the hook and landing bigger fish
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    I've been happy with my St. Croix bass rods, I have a few for crankbaits and topwater and they have been great. No help with the crappie rods though.
    LBGE
    AL