Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first briscet

BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
100_0054.jpg
<p />i will be doing my first brisket this weekend i am using dizzy pig cowlick, i am also using plate setter legs up, jack dainels chips, and thats all i got i am thinking of using grate extender but not sure yet so any help would be appreciated
thanks
terry B

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• Big Jim
    Big Jim Posts: 50
    BENTE, plate stter and drip pan should be enough, so no need for extender. I have used the DP cow lick before with great results. I did mix it with turbonado sugar and it formed a great bark. good luck, Jim

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    BENTE,[p]As has been mentioned, you dont need the plate setter AND the extender. Just put your grate on the legs of the inverted plate setter, drip pan under the grate, and you'll be fine. I would expect, at 250-275, about 75-90 minutes a pound for that flat, my GUESS is that it will be done before that (an hour a pound is what mine typically take) but just in case, you have a little extra time. If it gets done early, wrap it in foil, put it in a cooler wrapped in a towel, and it will hold for several hours. I would plan to let it rest about an hour like that (wrapped and foiled in cooler) anyway, just to let the juices come back together. Good luck with the cook.[p]Troy
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    2005012055.jpg
    <p />BENTE,
    i put butts over my brisket on the extender. cook the brisket fat side down and let the butts baste it during the cook. i was told that briskets are a hard cook so i started cooking the butts as a backup plan. briskets always came out great, and i get pulled pork for the freezer or for lunches during the week. after cooking wrap them in foil and put them in a cooler for a few hours, it makes a difference, and use the juices that accumulate in the foil to pour back over the brisket when you slice it

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    fishlessman,
    i hadn't thought of that with the juices thanks
    TB

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• fishlessman, What size is your middle grate, ie where the top brisket is? Thanks, Scott

• BENTE,[p]I put a drip pan made of foil on the inverted plate setter and put the brisket fat cap down on the grid. For a 5lb flat, I allow about 10 hours. I rest it up to 4 hours wrapped in foil, fat cap up, wrapped again in a towel then into a cooler.[p]For the last brisket, I used cowlick only and the JD chips you are planning on using. Turned out so good, the officers of the squadron came lurking for a taste.[p]Good luck.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    Scotty's Inferno,
    thats a standard porcelin bge large grill, just fits at that level. no platesetter, lower grill, pizza stone, paella pan, standard grill, split bricks halved, standard grill, raised grill, building it from the bottom up. it was a very tight fit as everything was touching at the beginning of the cook.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it