Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome Issue

Every time I lift my dome up, it falls back down just an inch or two but it is enough to make getting the grill rack out difficult. What is the problem and how do I fix it? Why won't my dome stay up all the way?
Large BGE Dallas, TX

Comments

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Warranty claim on the bands 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    what slovelad said, however any chance your band is on upside down? The rear  should look something like this:

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bhugg
    bhugg Posts: 317
    RRP said:
    what slovelad said, however any chance your band is on upside down? The rear  should look something like this:

No, it's on right. I want to say it started after I put the new gasket on. 
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • RRP
    bhugg said:
    RRP said:

Just to set the record straight was the "new gasket" you put on one from me?
  • bhugg
    bhugg Posts: 317
    RRP said:
    bhugg said:
    RRP said:

Affirmative 
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • RRP
    bhugg said:
    RRP said:
    bhugg said:
    RRP said:

Affirmative 
    Ok. Did you remove your dome, even though that was not necessary? If you did then I'll be suspect that you did not tighten the bolts as much as necessary. Especially if you meant it does evenentually does close. OTOH If you feel you did then I believe the planes of your base and dome are out of whack.

• RRP
    Oops I sent that too soon before I could explain how to get your planes back together.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    The only two issues I’ve ever really seen are having the egg out of level or loose bolts right where the spring connects to the hinge. The double nut connection tends to get loose over time and causes the hinge to not operate properly. The level does not appear to be the issue based upon your description. It usually results in the lid closing voluntarily. I would suspect the loose hinge bolt, but not sure without seeing it. Good luck.