Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak it out or cook it whole

Options
good morning,
The wife came home yesterday with a whole angus beef tenderloin roughly 6 lbs. I'm cooking for 4 people tonight, am I better off cutting off a few lbs and cooking whole or steaking it out? I'm thinking reverse sear as well?
thanks for any help.

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Reverse sear. 
    I'd keep it whole, make a board dressing, and slice to serve, mixing in the board dressing.  Makes for an awesome presentation.

If you have guests who insist on well done with ketchup, then steak it out.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    If you've only got 4 ppl, 6lbs will be too much. I'd cut it in half - roast half tonight whole , and cut the other half into steaks for another night's cook.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Depends, if the ends are smaller than the center, I would cut them off and then cook. Same thickness all the way then it's up to you. We love left over smoked meat, great in salads, etc.
    you could stuff it also.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Cooking the loin in tact is much easier than keeping track of six steaks 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    If it’s trimmed 6lbs makes more than 6 steaks. Cooking whole is easy and as said earlier makes for a nice presentation. Tenderloin calls for a sauce. Don’t forget that a reverse sear does not need a rest so if you’re taking it inside and it might be 10-12 minutes before serving you will get a significant temp climb. Remove at least 5-7 degrees less than your target IT. 
  • cul-de-sac-er
    Options
    Awesome thanks for the help
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Focker said:
    Reverse sear. 
    I'd keep it whole, make a board dressing, and slice to serve, mixing in the board dressing.  Makes for an awesome presentation.

If you have guests who insist on well done with ketchup, then steak it out.
    If you have guests like that, kick ‘em out and send ‘em home!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95