Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

15lb Prime Brisket

Options
baychilla
baychilla Posts: 387
In the past I've only been able to get brisket flats (the places that would order a whole brisket were also the places that wanted $9.99/lb and up).  This Christmas I was gifted a whole prime brisket from CostCo.  It's a little big for my large egg, but I'm hoping that a little cut and doubling up of part of the flap will work.

Seasoning was a Texas dalmation (salt and pepper) along with a little bit of Dizzy Pig Venom

Fuel was the dregs of the last of my BGE charcoal and some brand new stuff from some company out of Missouri.  I doubt you've heard of them.

For flavor I added some oak and pecan chunks.  I setup the guru for a nice balmy and leisurely 225 (a little overshoot).  

All settled in for a long evenings smoke.
Near San Francisco in California

Comments

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Anxiously awaiting results!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Nice.  If you have the roaster rack you can lay the brisket over that or people wrap bricks with AF.  This typically allows the longer briskets to fit. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Next time you get a brisket too long for your LBGE, just "brick it"-lay it over a foil brick or inverted roast rack til the shrinkage takes over and you can lay it flat.  As the saying goes, "the friggin cow drives the cook" and the shape of any brisket is quite a variable.  I've had 14+ lbs (post trim) easily fit and 11 lb post trim end up initially too long.  Most fun cook you can have with the BGE as you well know.
    Don't know how far into the cook but you should consider foil protecting the thin part of the flat for several hours to hopefully avoid that section from getting too dry.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • baychilla
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions.  I foiled the flat but it's still hell and gone from the point.  I'm thinking i'll be performing some surgery on the egg to remove it from the point if this keeps up.

• lousubcap
    Options
    As you are aware, the key to the finish-line is the feel in the thick part of the flat "probes like buttah" and you are there.
    The point has higher fat content so I run with it to the back as it can take the higher heat and it will ride along just fine til the flat "declares victory".  
    Brisket information overload is just a "search click" away.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Hope yours turns out delicious.....
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Standing by
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Nice, a brisket cook on a Friday.  YAY!  Looking forward to the finished results.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Gravytrain84
    Options
    Considering my first brisket this weekend. When do y’all usually pull it off? When point is at 205? What do you do if the flat gets there way before the point?
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Considering my first brisket this weekend. When do y’all usually pull it off? When point is at 205? What do you do if the flat gets there way before the point?
    Start probing around 195,but don't pull till the largest part of the flat probes like butter.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Gravytrain84 - give the search function here a look as you will get lots of information on brisket cooks.  Short answer, pay no attention to the point...see above.  
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    edited February 2018
    Options
    The Meater probe caught the stall before it decided to stop connecting.  It took 4 hours and dropped from 174 to 162.  ~14 hours later Im up to 191 in the flat and 186 in the point.

Probe seems totally dead.  Even opening the egg didn't let the phone find it.  In the meantime I probed and its almost like soft butter.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Oh boy that one’s gonna be good!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Looks good.  Just curious - are you using a drip pan?  I'd think it could get little dicey with that much fat dripping into the fire.... not to mention a pain to clean up!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • baychilla
    Options
    I pulled it from the egg at either 193 (Guru display) or 195 (Guru web server).  It was like buttah.  Now its foiled while I get a little rest.

Waiting to be foiled for its nap

A graph of the cook (forgot to screenshot the desktop version which imo looks better)

• baychilla
    Options
    No drip pan the plate setters a wee bit of a mess.
  • Gravytrain84
    Options
    Man that looks good. Take pics of that baby cut up 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Great bark right there.  Perhaps dodged a bullet with the grease, see below.  

Regarding an air-gapped drip pan, I totally endorse and even then I was bitten once.  I foil line my air-gapped drip pan for any brisket cook.  Cook running along fine until around 7 hours in.  Then (with no changes) temperature started to aggressively climb.  Use a PSWOO-2 so I pulled everything out and had a grease fire decide to get going.  Tossed a good handful of ice cubes to suppress the fire and got everything back under control.  
    Turns out my foil pattern created a channel outside the drip pan where some renderings made it to the lump load.  Once the fire got there, away it went.  
    Like I said only once and I now pay much more attention to any potential run-off channel.  FWIW-
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    baychilla said:
    No drip pan the plate setters a wee bit of a mess.
    scrape with putty knife. done
  • Gravytrain84
    Options
    Lawd Jesus that looks good. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Looks great-just wait til you slice and inhale the point.  There's the real banquet.
    Great outcome.  Congrats.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Hopefully mine turns out that nice tomorrow.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Gravytrain84
    Options
    So it only one prob available, always put it in the fattest part of the flat?
  • baychilla
    Options
    That's what I'd do.  
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Damn. Nice job. Looks perfect.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    nice bark, nice cook
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• HoosierBBQ
    Options
    Wow that looks delicious. Well done
    Grilling year round in Orlando, FL on a large BGE & Santa Maria
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Looks good.  Nice job
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Smokeydawg
    Options
    Good job! 
    Dacula, GA       LG & MM BGE's