Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sirloin Cap Steaks - Suggestions?

Options
I grabbed a pack of prime sirloin cap steaks at Costco yesterday as part of a Valentines Day surf and turf for my bride. I'd never seen these before. They're very well marbled and the perfect size. I asked the butcher about them and he had good things to say. They were priced right and worth a roll of the dice.

I did my usual salt and pepper followed by a quick sear on both sides, some indirect time, and a five minute rest before serving. Not too bad! They have a much stronger flavor than most steaks (liver overtones), but were not quite as tender as I'd hoped. I just wonder if there's a better preparation method than the standard direct grille?

Suggestions, experiences, horror stories welcome.....
Michiana, South of the border.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    You could Sous Vide them for a day to get them more tender but I really like them just the way you cooked them. They are not the most tender cut but as you said they shine with beef flavor. Leftovers are great thin sliced on a sandwich or street taco style with a little DP Mole.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    If these are Top Sirloin Cap Steaks then you can look up Picanha which is a Brazilian Steakhouse specialty. I know there have been posts about these.  I have made them the same way you did and like them.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA