Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Food for tomorrow - Help please

Doing a nacho bar for our daughters birthday tomorrow and going to do Pulled Pork, A brisket flat and chicken.  the question is do I do thighs or breasts for the nachos?  we typically do breast meat, but I have seen a lot of people here prefer thighs so thought I would ask the opinion of the masses.  if you suggest thighs cooking method would be helpful as it will be my first go at them.  thanks guys.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

Comments

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    We prefer thigh meat. 
    I cook raised direct @400 until IT of 175. Dusted and sauced with whatever you prefer. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    jabam said:
    We prefer thigh meat. 
    I cook raised direct @400 until IT of 175. Dusted and sauced with whatever you prefer. 

that sounds good, what can I expect on how long that takes?

Boiler Up!!

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Boneless skinless chicken thighs cook in under 30 mins at 400F raised direct.
    Mountain View, CA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I would suggest 165 max for the temp. You'll have some temp carryover after pulling them off, and the chix will stay moist when served and sitting for some time as part of the nacho bar. 

And happy birthday to your little girl!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Agree on things.  I haven't seen them get dry even when taking them off when they are above 170.  Dark meat chicken is very forgiving on the egg.  Enjoy.  It sounds like a great time!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Kent8621
    Thanks, it shaping up to be interesting, 17 kids around 5 and under, parents and a few people without kids all trapped inside due to rain in the area.  have a small bounce house for the garage and hoping someone actually smiles upon me from above and pushes the rain out but as of right now, not looking good for that...at least there will be beer.

Boiler Up!!

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Likely too late for this thread but if going with the nacho bar I would can the brisket flat as no one will likely appreciate it and run with chix thighs for the reasons above.  
    Now if your target audience are the adults then I wouldn't change my suggestion.  Brisket shines as a stand-alone banquet.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Kent8621

Thanks @lousubcap I appreciate it.  I am about to leave work and head to Costco so I will take that into consideration.  I will get pictures us after.....hopefully.

Boiler Up!!

• Kent8621

thanks for the tips guys, I ended up skipping the brisket flat.  I did a buttermilk brine I normally use on whole chickens for the thighs and they came out killer.  I rubbed them down with some of the four forty one south blanches best rub and got glowing reviews from the masses.  the pulled pork was falling apart but everyone complimented the chicken more.  but in the haste of trying to get everyone fed, I forgot to get pictures so for that I apologize.

Boiler Up!!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    You know you nailed it, that all that really matters.  Congrats on bringing it home.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Sounds like you provided a winner...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"