Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Ablation for Afib OT

Options
Had the procedure about 2.5 months ago for paroxsymal afib. The problem got worse for about 2 months. Last two weeks indicates that things may be improving. My ultimate goal is to be free of the meds. The doc assures me that I have a good chance and wants me to stay on the meds for 6 more months while my heart remodels. Anyone have any experience with this? I really hate what the meds do to me. I am 56 y/o.

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    No experience but cheers to a full recovery. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I had ablation for congestive heart failure 5 years ago. (its amazing how much panic a moment of searing pain at the heart can be.) Don't know how the 2 conditions differ, but I had a nerve that was firing 2X times normal almost continually.

After the ablation, my heart rate calmed down right away. Fortunately, I had been able to afford early retirement at 64. I was useless for about 4 hours a day 'cause of the meds for the next 18 mo.'s.

I'm supposing you'll pull thru, it'll be crap, but hang in there.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    I have occasional bouts of afib. For whatever reason about every four or five years my heart goes into a "rough idle" for anywhere from 2-7 days or so. Kinda freaked me out the first time it happened 20 years ago.

It hasn't been enough of a problem to warrant any sort of procedure (yet).

I assume you were in afib often (always)?

Good luck!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• OhioEgger
    Options
     A good friend had that about two years ago, same thing. After about three months he felt completely normal again, so there's a bit of encouragement for you.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options

I have had afib issues in the past (please see (and try to unsee) pic above after Salado a couple of years ago.  I recently had an ablation and am off the meds.

NOTE - I AM NOT A DOCTOR

Three notes from my process:
    1. I had a cryoablation, where they freeze stuff.  That is the newer procedure.  A lot of folks still cauterize, but there are more (and bigger) risks with that procedure (while you are still on the table).
    2. I had a loop recorder put in my chest - http://www.medtronic.com/us-en/patients/treatments-therapies/fainting-heart-monitor/reveal-linq-icm.html - If I have an irregular heartbeat, my cardiologist gets a text.  Docs are a lot more comfortable getting you off meds if they are confident they will find out if you have an issue.  Highly recommended (provided it isn't a tracking chip or a time bomb)
    3. I understand that ~70% of folks get it right on the first try, and you might have to go back for Round 2.  Some folks never get corrected, and that is apparently correlated to the cause of their afib.  Folks w sleep apnea are better addressing that instead of the ablation (AFAIK)
    Best of luck and let us know how it goes.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Zaltydog
    Zaltydog Posts: 106
    Options
    Thanks all for the responses! 20stone you looked real happy in that photo, maybe residual effect from Salado? Thanks for the good info. I did not know about implant thing and I am definitely going to ask about that. That makes alot of sense. However, with my insurance company, you might be right and they may implant some sort of life-ending device to save a buck.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Zaltydog said:
    Thanks all for the responses! 20stone you looked real happy in that photo, maybe residual effect from Salado? 
    I had been in a-fib overnight and through the morning, and was in the ER in Temple.  The plug I am holding was in the crash cart, which was juuuuust about to be used on me to cardiovert me (yes... that means "electrocute until his heart resets").  I ended up laughing really hard at a smarta$$ comment I made (laughing at my own jokes is a specialty), and that got me back in a sinus rhythm right before they pushed the button.

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX