Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need ideas quick!!!

Options
EggHeadinFlorida
EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
edited February 2018 in EggHead Forum
Daughter just bumped into me causing me to drop my XL plate setter. There’s no gluing or piecing it back together. A full 4’ drop onto concrete. Imagine how it looks now lol. 

Anyways, I’ve got 5 slabs of ribs to cook today like needed to start an hour ago. Anyway to cook them on the egg or am I SOL?!?
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Got pizza stone? 
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    I do have a pizza stone

• The_Stache
    Options
    Wrap in foil, use bricks to elevate stone to approximate height of plate setter, cook your ribs...
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Spider or AR/woo type setup? If so, pizza stone down low and ribs on the rack above. 

You can cook ribs direct btw. Just keep moving them around so you balance out the hot spots. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    place bricks directly on lump?

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    centex, I don't have that fancy setup lol

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Go direct. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Raise your grid with some bricks if you can. 
  • The_Stache
    Options
    place bricks directly on lump?

I would "lean" the brick against the firebox and get positions for the stone the way that I would want it.  THEN add lump, etc.

I also agree with @The Cen-Tex Smoker  cooking direct is an option...

This is just another opportunity to show your creativity!! :)

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Any chance you have two grids?  One with the stone on it sitting on the fire-ring then raise the other using 3 empty (key word) beer cans.  Cook away.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    The brick idea seems to work.  WOW, I appreciate that idea!!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If you are going to get another platesetter start them now and run to your dealer and grab a platesetter while they are getting warmed up. 

That said, would recommend and ar or woo setup since you are already going to be out the cash
  • The_Stache
    Options
    Maybe take those toppers off of the bricks, lay pizza stone on top, toppers down and then the grate?
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options

4 baby back and 1 st Louie rack
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Centex, the local guys are closed. B ut when I was in there the other day, the PS was $135 for the XL..... Ive been eyeballing the CI PS from Smokeware. Its about $180. But I need to weigh my options now.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Here's link to a great BGE after market operation:
    https://ceramicgrillstore.com  The site can be a bit overwhelming but give them a call and they will steer you straight regarding what to get to handle your projected cooking needs.  I would look long and hard about options other than a platesetter going forward.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The_Stache
    Options
    FWIW....  I have cast iron in all of my grills EXCEPT my MM.  I like the PS that I have for my Large with CI but if I had it all to do over again... I would shy away from the CI grate and stay standard

I have Woo's on my Large and MM and definitely would go that route instead of another plate setter...

PS... anyone need a large Plate Setter?  Green from years of non use!!

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    FWIW....  I have cast iron in all of my grills EXCEPT my MM.  I like the PS that I have for my Large with CI but if I had it all to do over again... I would shy away from the CI grate and stay standard

I have Woo's on my Large and MM and definitely would go that route instead of another plate setter...

PS... anyone need a large Plate Setter?  Green from years of non use!!

Why would you go back to ceramic? Is it because of the up keep on CI?
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I would lay the bricks on the rim of the fire ring, grid, then your pizza stone and rib rack setup. 

I’m  not sure how those bricks will stand up to the heat of the lump, being buried in like that. May spall or blow up. And your ribs may tip over. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The_Stache
    Options
    I'm talking about the grate here...

I'm using ceramic pizza stones and see no need for CI there.  Obviously others will have differing opinions but the ceramic stone work best for me and 0 maintenance (unless the stone gets dropped! :) ).

CI in general does take some additional "maintenance" unless you're cooking everyday.
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    caliking said:
    I would lay the bricks on the rim of the fire ring, grid, then your pizza stone and rib rack setup. 

I’m  not sure how those bricks will stand up to the heat of the lump, being buried in like that. May spall or blow up. And your ribs may tip over. 
    I actually use them same bricks when I raise the pizza stone off the plate setter. I cook my pizzas around 550-600 and so far, knock on wood, nothing has given out lol.. I do see your point with them being buried right on the lump since the temp is much hotter. Time will tell.

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    I'm talking about the grate here...

I'm using ceramic pizza stones and see no need for CI there.  Obviously others will have differing opinions but the ceramic stone work best for me and 0 maintenance (unless the stone gets dropped! :) ).

CI in general does take some additional "maintenance" unless you're cooking everyday.
    Ahhhh, I over looked that you were talking about the grate.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    caliking said:

I actually use them same bricks when I raise the pizza stone off the plate setter. I cook my pizzas around 550-600 and so far, knock on wood, nothing has given out lol.. I do see your point with them being buried right on the lump since the temp is much hotter. Time will tell.

i've used them too for different kinds of cooks, without any issues. But the ends buried in the lump will see temps way hotter than 600°F. My concern isn't about the bricks specifically, but that if they spall, the pizza stone may tip. And the ribs with it. Unlikely to be disastrous, but may throw another wrinkle in your cook plan. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Get your priorities straight. 

Step 1: Give your daughter the news that she is out of the family. 
  • The_Stache
    Options

Eggsellent!!!!  Give your daughter a hug for all the pursuant communications and a GREAT meal cooked an unplanned way!!!  Adventure!!!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• bradleya123
    Options
    BZ!  Way to overcome and adapt!!  Once again the BGE Forum comes through!!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC