Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

B&B lump?

Options
My local Walmart has stopped carrying royal oak (at least for the time being) and they have started carrying B&B. I see some old reviews that were pretty bad, does anybody have any experience with it?
Kansas City, Kansas
Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Some good some bad.  They have many different labels.  It’s sooty in my experience.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Probably better off with RO.  I'm of course a Rockwood fan which you can buy online.  And it's not Friday night ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    If you want to try Rockwood, here's a great deal thru early Monday:
    "We'll be running a sale on Rockwood Charcoal this weekend in our web store.  The sale will be active now through Monday 2/12 @ noon CST.  10% off on charcoal using code VALDAY10 or by clicking the link below.

https://rockwood-charcoal.myshopify.com/discount/VALDAY10
    No affiliation here but I fully endorse.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • distanceman
    Options
    I bought a bag of the 20lb Oak. It was ok. Burned ok, just took a bit longer to come up to temp (prob 10-15 mins longer than RO). It cost about the same as RO. It also sparked more than RO. Overall if you want cheap Lump, it's prob worth a shot. But this is coming from a guy who prefers RO due to good bang for the buck. 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I have used it. Hickory and oak work ok. Stay away from mesquite. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon