Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous vide steak!

Options
So I finally got me an Anova wifi. Gave it a test run last night on some ribeyes. They were 1 1/4” thick. 

130 degree water bath for 2 1/2 hours

Seared in a screaming hot cast iron skillet with a drizzle of canola oil in there. As each steak finished, the last two sears got a pat of butter in there. 

I flipped every 20 seconds for about 1 1/2 minutes total per side. Nice crusty exterior, perfect medium rare interior, and no overcooked gray parts!!! 

Also had roast asparagus with garlic and parmesean and some roast potatoes

Fork for value added effect. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

Comments

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Nice work. Enjoy the anova.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    Yup. It will serve you well
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Looks great. Did you season or flavor in the SV?
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Looks just right.
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    I did some salt and pepper with a sprig of rosemary in the bag

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Very nice!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Welcome to the sous vide club!  Steaks look perfect.  I was resistant at first, but after using one for more than a year I can say that sous vide is permanently part of my bag o tricks.
    Phoenix 
  • Kcheves
    Options
    I don't want to threadjack but I have a somewhat related SV question.  I have an Anova and have cooked a few steaks with it, but my wife and I both prefer our steak (gasp) medium.  I've experimented with temperatures in the 142-150 range, but it seems like the steaks always come out pink all the way through (like the picture above), and medium  can only be achieved on the sear.  Is that true, or is there a time/temperature combo that gets me to a less bloody condition straight out of the bath? 

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

San Diego, CA

• milesvdustin
    Options
    My picture looks a lot rarer than it is, mostly from the darker lighting. 

Anything more is too well done! 

You could try higher temp, but it would be well done. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Kcheves said:
    I don't want to threadjack but I have a somewhat related SV question.  I have an Anova and have cooked a few steaks with it, but my wife and I both prefer our steak (gasp) medium.  I've experimented with temperatures in the 142-150 range, but it seems like the steaks always come out pink all the way through (like the picture above), and medium  can only be achieved on the sear.  Is that true, or is there a time/temperature combo that gets me to a less bloody condition straight out of the bath? 

While we on the forum tend to be a little judgy on medium to well done steaks, the truth is, you are paying for the meat.  

I'd suggest modifying the temp upwards until you get the result you are looking for.  The sear is only going to affect the crust and very top layer.  The good news is, when you find the temp you like it is repeatable.  Mine is 131.

Phoenix 
  • jetman96
    jetman96 Posts: 127
    Options
    Have you checked the temp when it comes out of the SV bath to see that it's getting to the temp you want? You may just need to go longer, especially if the steak is thicker.
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Great looking steak!

Kcheves said:
    @Kcheves
    This article shows steaks cooked at different temps.  I would think 150 should get you a result that has little to no pink but if it is still too pink for your liking I would just up the temp.  You also have to factor in time based on thickness as described in the article. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• OhioEgger
    Options
    Seared in a screaming hot cast iron skillet with a drizzle of canola oil in there. As each steak finished, the last two sears got a pat of butter in there. 
    Beautiful end product!
    But my question is why the added oil/butter when doing the sear. Is it really necessary?
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Options
    Kcheves said:

whatever temp you pick the color will be the same all the way through, which is why people go sous vide. Im guessing your not used to that and need to go higher on your temps, more towards well done. Traditionally you might have read 142-150 in the center of your steak, but the outside was much higher
  • Kcheves
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!  Will try slightly hotter and longer next time.

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

San Diego, CA

• milesvdustin
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    Beautiful end product!
    But my question is why the added oil/butter when doing the sear. Is it really necessary?
    Because it added flavor and richness. Pretty much anything seared in brown butter is awesome. 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Kcheves said:
    ... I've experimented with temperatures in the 142-150 range, but it seems like the steaks always come out pink all the way through ... and medium  can only be achieved on the sear.  Is that true...? 
    I'm NOT a sous vide expert, hardly a beginner, but the answer's no.  Check out this picture:

The article's here: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Perfect cook.  I'm sure it was enjoyed.  And yes, perfect MR.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga