Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sweet Swine O Mine St. Louis ribs

I haven't had St. Louis cut ribs in a while (it seems my Costco only carries spares from mutant pigs, even when labeled as St. Louis cut - ditto the "upscale" grocers). I saw a local place had them on sale for $4.99/lb and I was bored.  A short trip later I had my St. Louis ribs with the membrane somewhat removed, the tips left on and the flap left on.  Hrm.  I used a light (too light methinks) coating of Sweet Swine O Mine rub and let that sit on the ribs in the icebox for about an hour (probably too short a time) before putting them on the Egg.

The ribs before going back into the chiller.

I put most of the dregs of my last bag of BGE coal into the Egg and tossed in some pecan chunks (I don't recall seeing that much bark on the wood before).  I let my BBQ Guru try to bring the Egg up to temp.  It overshot by a good bit so then I had the brilliant idea to make sure the platesetter was in place (it wasn't).  It took about 12 minutes for the Egg to go from overshot to about where I needed it to be.  The cook took a surprisingly short 4 hours.

The first dip is the platesetter being added and the ends are the saucing.

The results:

I thought the sauce was great.  Sweet, a little fruity with a bit of heat.  
Near San Francisco in California

Comments