Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Lone Star Grillz Trailer Pit - OT

Smokin_Good
Smokin_Good Posts: 80
edited November 2017 in Off Topic
I've been wanting a trailer pit for a VERY long time. I've done a lot of looking online. I go back and forth on traditional offset versus a reverse flow. I found Lone Star Grillz online and I really like what I have seen and read. I think this is who I am going to go with. I am curious if any of you have any experience or knowledge of them. I'm thinking about ordering their 24"x84" trailer with an insulated cabinet as well. I want something I can use for competitions and possibly some catering occasionally. I would appreciate any advice any of you have on planning out something like this. I don't want to get it and find out I forgot something. 
XL BGE, Medium BGE, 36" Blackstone, UDS, Red Weber Kettle & LSG Large IVS
Keller, TX

Comments

• Drive by lone star 1-2 times per week, everything I have on them is great.  I have been also debating a purchase.
    XL, 2-Lg, Mini, 36" Blackstone (Formerly CM23)
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I would love to add a vertical offset to my playground. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    They have been getting a lot of good press from satisfied customers. Prices are better than Pitmaker and their cookers are solid. 

I put a deposit down on a vertical insulated smoker last year. As the build drew closer, I wanted some mods made to the cart option, as they claimed they could build anything on their website. Well, that wasn't true. They declined to make any changes to their stock options. Cancelled my order and was miffed that they kept a percentage (can't remember how much). Left me feeling kinda sour about them . 

There's a long thread on the BBQ brethren website that you might find useful.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Been really thinking about an insulated vertical cabinet smoker from these guys...

It looks easy to use and efficient with fuel burn rate...anyone with recent experience good or bad withthese?   Lone star looks like a solid outfit with high quality, lomb lasting products...
  • Thatgrimguy that is an awesome looking setup. I don't think there is anything you couldn't cook with that. I've never owned a trailer of any kind and haven't done a whole lot of towing. What are the benefits to tandem axles? I'm sure in your case they are needed for the weight of that rig. 

caliking thanks for the info. Most of the things I have asked Chris he has been accommodating. The things he said no to he has explained why and seems understandable why. Keeping some of the deposit with the build not even started doesn't sound right. I will make sure I have everything finalized before putting any money down.  
    Keller, TX
  • I have been emailing Chris over the past few months and after a TON of back and forth I decided to go with Lone Star Grillz. I made the drive down there last Saturday. I wanted to check out the shop and see how they looked in person. Chris was more than willing to show me all around the shop and answer any other questions I came up with. It turns out they are an egg dealer as well. I put down the deposit on the 24x84 trailer with the large insulated cabinet as well. It will be about 16 weeks before I am able to see my new pit. This will be the longest 16 weeks of my life. 
    Keller, TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @Smokin_Good - Congrats on your new acquisition.  I admire your patience and persistence on seeing this thru.  Way to stay the course.  I'm sure you will enjoy the challenges and opportunities in front of you.  Gotta love messing about with sticks.  Above all, have fun.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    Congratulations!!!  By the last week before I got my trailer my wife didn't want to speak to me anymore!! 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • @lousubcap Thanks! I will definitely enjoy this thing once I get it. It will for sure be fun. If it wasn't fun there would be no reason to do it. 

@Thatgrimguy Thank you! It won't have all the bells and whistles as your Grocery Cart. I think it will do until I am ready to move up to an enclosed trailer with a porch. I'm sure my wife will be annoyed by the time it is ready. 
    Keller, TX
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

That's a thing of beauty right there!  Congrats

Phoenix 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    @Smokin_Good

Any pics of some cooks?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    SciAggie said:
    I would love to add a vertical offset to my playground. 
    This weekend.....Go Aggies!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow

• blasting said:

That's a thing of beauty right there!  Congrats

Thanks!
    Keller, TX
  • dmchicago said:
    @Smokin_Good

Any pics of some cooks?