Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SV jerk chix

caliking
caliking Posts: 18,727
edited February 2018 in EggHead Forum
Marinade= thyme, ginger, green onions, garlic, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, soy sauce, salt, brown sugar, and a buddy's volcanic homemade habanero hot sauce concoction for heat.

Chix and marinade in the bag, SV at 165F for 2-3 hrs. Grilled direct at 450F 5mins then flipped for another 5mins. Reduced the bag juice to make a sauce served on the side. 

It didn't suck :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    So did the marinade go in the SV bag?

That looks awesome.  Did you use any wood when grilling?
    NOLA
  • caliking
    buzd504 said:
    So did the marinade go in the SV bag?

That looks awesome.  Did you use any wood when grilling?
    Yes. Chix was SV'ed in the marinade. I edited to clarify that. 

I didn't use any wood particularly. I wished I had some pimento wood as I was lighting the egg up, but had not planned ahead. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    That looks and sounds amazing.  Nice work and use of your SV.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    Is this basically the same recipe that @JohnInCarolina made at Brisket Camp?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Beautiful picture of goodness right there.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • caliking
    The same. Except his were better. 

I made these as drumsticks, because wings are a lot of work to eat. I'm lazy like that. 

• caliking said:
    The same. Except his were better. 

I made these as drumsticks, because wings are a lot of work to eat. I'm lazy like that. 
    The real pros use powdered ginger and not the real thing.   ;)

Looks great buddy!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Looks great!  I gotta try stuff SV.  I finally bought an Anova, but all I've used it for so far is pasteurizing eggs so I don't have to be paranoid about really runny eggs, or, over the holidays, using them in eggnog, etc..  Yours look great!
  • caliking
    Theophan said:
    Looks great!  I gotta try stuff SV.  I finally bought an Anova, but all I've used it for so far is pasteurizing eggs so I don't have to be paranoid about really runny eggs, or, over the holidays, using them in eggnog, etc..  Yours look great!
    This is my second run of SV jerk chix,  and I usually would have grilled them. I will honestly say that this method beats the pants off marinating then grilling. They brown and caramelize nicely because of the brown sugar in the mix. Grilling them hot (450F) is the way to go. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    As usual, you pushed the envelope again my friend. Nice cook!  Don't get me wrong, I'm wondering what it would be like to use dried thyme and powdered ginger/garlic.

Have you considered trying SV tandoori chicken?  I tried reverse roast (not sear) tandoori chicken in the Traeger on the weekend - 225 till IT 140, then 300 till IT 175-180; it was smokey and juicy but lacked the signature tandoori char taste and look. Next time I'll transfer to Egg for stage two.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    As usual, you pushed the envelope again my friend. Nice cook!  Don't get me wrong, I'm wondering what it would be like to use dried thyme and powdered ginger/garlic.

Have you considered trying SV tandoori chicken?  I tried reverse roast (not sear) tandoori chicken in the Traeger on the weekend - 225 till IT 140, then 300 till IT 175-180; it was smokey and juicy but lacked the signature tandoori char taste and look. Next time I'll transfer to Egg for stage two.
    If dried thyme, ginger, garlic are what I had on hand, i would undoubtedly use them. We always have fresh ginger and garlic for Indian and Asian cooking, but thyme is a "specialty" ingredient that I have to buy whenever a recipe calls for it. And much of it goes to waste. Dried thyme  is not a bad idea at all.

I have not tried any SV recipes with yogurt in the marinade yet. Part of  the issue is (as you mentioned) that our bias  (yours and mine) is based on what we grew up with, i.e. the char, etc on tandoori chicken.  I would be interested in what you come up with though. You're no slacker! :)

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Beautiful cook. It certainly looks over the top. I would tear that up, big time.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • I will say that I have tried this recipe many times, and I have also tried the "store-bought" jerk marinade from Walkerswood.  I was really hoping that the Walkerswood would be as good as the from scratch recipe, but alas, it is not.  I found it to be far too salty in addition to simply being not quite as good.

Just no substitute for making things from scratch, as I should really know by now.

What is awesome about the SV treatment for me is how the flavor really does get all the way down to the bone.  I think you get that with a long marinade as well, but the SV only takes a couple of hours by comparison, and you also know for certain that the wings are cooked.  There's no guessing left.  You just finish them on the Egg to add char, and you can largely go by appearance as to when to pull them off.  Tough to beat in my book. 

I need to do these again, and soon!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    @caliking buy a couple of thyme plants and stick them in the ground or in a pot. It grows like a week here in Austin, you should have the same luck.  Freeze got most of ours this year, but it won’t take much for the rest to come back.  Lemon thyme is one of my favorites -  just buy the small plants at HD or Lowe’s.
  • caliking
    Legume said:
    @caliking buy a couple of thyme plants and stick them in the ground or in a pot. It grows like a week here in Austin, you should have the same luck.  Freeze got most of ours this year, but it won’t take much for the rest to come back.  Lemon thyme is one of my favorites -  just buy the small plants at HD or Lowe’s.
    We have varying success with our herb garden. The freeze this year destroyed what we had (and lots of other stuff in the yard as well). SWMBO is the plantkeeper, so I'll leave that to her :)

• caliking
    I will say that I have tried this recipe many times, and I have also tried the "store-bought" jerk marinade from Walkerswood.  I was really hoping that the Walkerswood would be as good as the from scratch recipe, but alas, it is not.  I found it to be far too salty in addition to simply being not quite as good.

Just no substitute for making things from scratch, as I should really know by now.

What is awesome about the SV treatment for me is how the flavor really does get all the way down to the bone.  I think you get that with a long marinade as well, but the SV only takes a couple of hours by comparison, and you also know for certain that the wings are cooked.  There's no guessing left.  You just finish them on the Egg to add char, and you can largely go by appearance as to when to pull them off.  Tough to beat in my book. 

I need to do these again, and soon!
    I want to try marinating these for a while before SV. I think I tried overnight the last time I had made these, but thinking of going 2 or 3 days to see if the flavor deepens. 

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Did you use specific ratios/measurements or just wing it? My family loves jerk seasoning, and I’d like to do a homemade version. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Legume said:
    I have terrible luck with thyme.  I can grow it spring/early summer and it cooks.
    NOLA
  • caliking
    jeffwit said:
    Did you use specific ratios/measurements or just wing it? My family loves jerk seasoning, and I’d like to do a homemade version. 
    Here you go. From Lisa Fetterman’s Sous Vide at Home. 

Blitz all of the ingredients (except the chicken) in a food processor or blender. Bag it with the chicken and SV at 165 x 2-3 hrs. Then grill, basting with the bag juice every couple of minutes. 

I amped up the garlic and ginger, and cut the allspice to 1 tsp. 

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    That looks like a pretty legit recipe. No worries when I use it I'll take all of the credit. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    texaswig said:
    That looks like a pretty legit recipe. No worries when I use it I'll take all of the credit. 
    I don't think you'll be alone in that. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX