Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time Pizza. Advice?

Options
First time doing pizza on my egg. I have the plate setter, grid, woo and pizza stone. I’m thinking it’s plate setter feet up, grid, woo and stone in that order? Or do I leave the plate setter out. Also I’ve seen temps from 500-700, what is the recommended temp? Especially for a newbie. Thanks!

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    You want the PS in for sure.  I go legs down but opinions on that vary.  I'm not sure it makes a huge difference.

Are you using store bought dough? Most of those have sugar in them, so it's not advisable to go much over 500 for the temp, because the sugar will burn and that's no bueno.  

So I'd go with around 500 for your first one.  Plan for a 7-10 minute cook.  Don't forget to rotate it a few times as the back of the Egg tends to run hotter than the front. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    You want the PS in for sure.  I go legs down but opinions on that vary.  I'm not sure it makes a huge difference.

Are you using store bought dough? Most of those have sugar in them, so it's not advisable to go much over 500 for the temp, because the sugar will burn and that's no bueno.  

So I'd go with around 500 for your first one.  Plan for a 7-10 minute cook.  Don't forget to rotate it a few times as the back of the Egg tends to run hotter than the front. 
    He smrt.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SmokeOnTheMountain
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina using homemade dough recipe found on this forum actually. Thanks for the heads up on the plate setter and temp. I was thinking 500 might be more forgiving then 700.
  • bikesAndBBQ
    Options
    Take notes so you can compare what you liked and didn't like. When you make another one, you can go back and start tweaking until you get the results you want. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Put some cornmeal down on your pizza peel before you put down the dough. Helps you launch the pie. Work fast once the dough hits the peel. Try to get it onto the Egg in 2 mins or less.

Go light on the toppings, nothing with any water in it besides the sauce.
    Mountain View, CA
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    dmourati said:
    Put some cornmeal down on your pizza peel before you put down the dough. Helps you launch the pie. Work fast once the dough hits the peel. Try to get it onto the Egg in 2 mins or less.

Go light on the toppings, nothing with any water in it besides the sauce.
    Have doors open so you don't put the pie on the floor.  Don't work fast but do have a plan.  Cornmeal or semolina on the peel.  Alternatively you can use parchment paper.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I have not tried semolina, but did not care for corn meal because of the texture it adds. I'm not a pizza expert by any means, which is why I recommend parchment paper (you can remove halfway through). Feel like it is the easiest way to transfer the pizza and still leaves you with a good crust. Good luck.
    Stillwater, MN
  • SmokeOnTheMountain
    Options
    The pepperoni one is my son and daughters, the pesto is mine and the wife’s (minus spinach that we added on after it came out). Overall very pleased with the first attempt, crust was too thick IMO, but not bad. Good call on the 500, I was dancing the whole time making sure it didn’t burn at that temp. Cornmeal was a life saver and no issues with sticking. Thanks for the input, impromptu pizza dinner was saved!
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Looks outstanding from here!
    Stillwater, MN
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Great post all the way through and excellent presentation. Our neighborhood does a Thursday night clean out your fridge pizza thing. Parchment paper seems to be the way to go. 
    Starving here.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Those look great, first try or not!

One thing I really do like about pizza on the Egg is the fact that the dough does pick up some genuine smoke in the flavor.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Nicely done :clap:!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Check out this book: http://make.pizza/
    Mountain View, CA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Very nice. Pizza kicked my @ss for about the first 10 cooks before I dialed in all in. I reckon i am a slow learner.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice pies there.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga