Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat Slicer Shopping Advice

Options
six_egg
six_egg Posts: 1,110
I am looking at this one. I don't want to spend a lot. I am only going to use it for home made bacon at the moment.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I have been wanting one too. I cure a lot of bacon at home and hand slicing is not fun. But it has been fine. My thing is finding one large enough to accommodate the belly is expensive and have no room for it. So, I freeze the belly and hand slice away. Thanks for posting this one, will look into it at that price
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    been using a different slicer that looks similar for about 12 years. only thing ive noticed is the bearing wears and the slice isnt as uniform. for bacon thats not a big problem, its more noticeable trying to cut thin things like prosciutto. the blade tilts out as the cut is getting made. it will be more difficult to cut a slab of bacon with the small blade.  looks like you need to buy the smooth blade as well, dont see it included
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    I bought a Chefs Choice slicer last year and have been pleased with it.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• CSH
    CSH Posts: 11
    Options
    It looks pretty good for the price. I just ordered one myself to replace a plastic-bodied Krups slicer I've had for years. FWIW-I've never tried to make ultra-thin slices. The serrated blade on the Krups has served my needs well. I didn't order the smooth blade. I'll add that later if needed.
    BGE XL, Visions Grill, Multiple Webers, ABS Pit Boss
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    I think Cehs Choice is the better low priced slicer...otherwise you are better off getting a really good slicing knife for the price of a low end slicer and it will be multi use 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options

I have the same one you posted and have had no issues with it.  I do wish the blade was sharper but that is my only complaint.  the sliding tray in the unlocked setting gives you a little extra range for larger pork belly slabs and things, just be careful and don't slide off the end.  feel free to PM if you have any other questions, I use mine once a week so I would be happy to help.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    I've tried a lot of the low end slicers and they never do a good job on thin, and blade dulls quick and bearings tend to wear out. I wound up buying a high end one 3 years ago and don't regret it yeah space is a problem but you can slice prosciutto paper thin and the blade doesn't wear out as fast so your not constantly sharpening. Also the size of the blade and the intake area size are very important think of what you might slice now or in the future and what size it is, slab of bacon most likely won't fit. 
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18