Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL stoped burning lump during 2-2-1 baby back rib cook in the rain

First of all I want to say thank you to everyone on this forum, for all the advice and ideas I got just from reading other discussions.

Im a new egghead, I have a half dozen cooks under my belt but nothing big yet. I started with baby back ribs doing the 2-2-1 method (I learned about on this forum) the first cook I made 9 racks that I cut in half and put on two rib rack stands and used the stands the whole time and the ribs came out great (except for a crust). I made a few of my own alterations trying to mimic ribs I use to cook on the grass grill. First I removed membrane and then added mustard and dry rub then I soaked in a ziplock in a BBQ sauce overnight. The first part of cook, I just put the 18 ½ racks on the rib racks and kept temp at 230. Second part I coated ribs again with BBQ sauce and wrapped in 2 sheets aluminum foil and put back in racks. 3 Third part I removed from foil and mopped with BBQ sauce again and put back in racks to finish. They pulled away from the bone had a great flavor but no crust so i assumed i used to much BBQ sauce so i figured I would adjust next cook, which leads me to the problem.

After reading more discussions I decided to do a dry rub, and only apply rub 4 hours before the cook (Some one said more then 4 hours of salt basically turns your pork into a ham, thats another question is this true). So I kept the rib racks whole and only did 6 racks, again I used the rib rack stand for the first part. Second part I brushed apple juice to the ribs and wrapped in 4 sheets of foil to prevent leaking and put 2 racks in a pack (is that wrong should I have only put 1 rack in a foil pack at a time?), than I put right on grill grate I did not use the rib rack stand. Third part (here is where I lost the heat) I removed ribs from foil and put right on grill grate again without the rib rack stand. I cover pretty much the entire grate and after about 15 minutes my low temp alarm went off and temp had dropped to 170, at this time it was pouring rain outside and I did not want to mess with with grill I thought I ran out of coal (being a rookie I just figured I messed up) and didn't want to relight and go through the process again so I finished the ribs in the oven (not my best ribs, but not my worse ones either). The next morning today I went out to clean BGE and after removing the plate setter I see plenty of coal in the grill which leads to my first question what happened?
1. Did I choke out the BGE by putting to much meat on the grill?
2. Did the pouring rain have anything to do with it could it be dripping in Daisy Wheel? (I saw no evidence of water in the grill today)

Please help this rookie find his way!
Thank You
Long Island NY    
1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    The rain had nothing to do with it. It was likely the airflow that you mentioned. 
  • Shooting for 250 temp will help ensure fire doesn't go out again.
    Stillwater, MN
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Thanks for the quick responses, I'll go back to using the rib rack stand for the entire process next cook.

As far as 250 is that going to be to high for the ribs?

Any input on putting 2 racks in a foil pack at once versus one rack per pack, and applying dry rub on ribs for more then 4 hours (does this make the ribs ham?)
    Long Island NY    
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited February 2018
    The rain may have dropped the surface temp enough that it couldn't ingest enough air fast enough to maintain temp?  That happens with wind too (which can also raise the temp if the angle it right.)  I doubt the amount of meat had anything to do with it.

But the water entering the top had nothing to do with it.  A Smokeware cap may help with that if you're worried about it.  Or the original hillbilly version of a metal coffee can with a hole cut in the side.

The XL is a little more prone to flameouts because the way the firebox is (compared to other BGEs).  It's not a tall funnel shape, it's more of a wide bowl, so the charcoal is not constantly being pushed together as it burns down.  You have to maintain a kindling temp to keep the charcoal lit, which is approx 670F for carbon.  If you've got the fire really choked down, there are only a few pieces really burning inside of there.  As those pieces burn out, their neighboring pieces have to be close enough to get some of that radiant 670F on the surface to ignite.  The XL is shallow enough that the fire can move around and just burn off on one side; whereas, the large would keep pushing those pieces together as they burned down.  Of course, then you run into the ash or smaller pieces choking up the grate.  
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    edited February 2018
    The rub can make the ribs salty like ham. I used to rub them the night before.
     I usually rub my ribs an hour or two before placing on egg. Also, I don't use mustard. If you do, make sure there isn't a lot of salt in your rub, or else they will be salty.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • mlc2013
    stlcharcoal I ordered a smokeware cap last night plus a adjustable rig, hoping to solve both possible problems. I have another question, Is it imperative to cover the whole firebox with lump or can I use Angle brackets like these, (https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/big-green-egg-xl-accessories-by-ceramic-grill-store/products/xl-ang-l-brackets-pair-bge) to keep lump tighter packed, will that affect cook at all. This is what the firebox looked like today after last nights flame out
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    pescadorzih I normally use EVOO for the base for the dry rub but saw a lot of post in the forum using mustard so I gave it a try
    Long Island NY    
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 565
    I have and have used the XL smaller diameter ring for charcoal when doing only a 5 hr or less burn such as with ribs .  CGS sells two different versions     It stays lit and keeps charcoal together.   I also have the angle brackets but they keep the charcoal and fire on one side.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • I see you asked if 250 is too hot for ribs, and I don’t think it was answered. Anyways, no, it is not too hot. Around 320 ish is when you need to make sure the sugar in your rub doesn’t burn. I rarely smoke anything under 250. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • mlc2013
    GoldenQ thanks I just added that to my order from cgs. 
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    bikesAndBBQ thank you 
    Long Island NY    
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I had an overnight cook going on a brisket a few years ago where it started to rain in the early morning and I noticed the temp on my XL was dropping.  I just opened up the vents a little more to get more air flow to compensate for the cold rain.  I then got a Smokeware cap for Christmas and problem solved.

As for you 2-2-1 method, I usually so 2-1-1 or 2.5-1-1 for spare ribs.  I don't do baby backs much any more.  On the last hour put them back on the grill for 30 minutes before putting a glaze on them with your sauce for the final 30 minutes.  Also I too only put my rub on about and hour or so before putting them on and put them on a cookie sheet and place them in the fridge to get a little wet to create a bark on them.  In the hour my ribs go in the foil I use squeeze butter, honey, brown sugar and a little apple juice.  I only use two layers of heavy duty foil.  When you put them on the foil, put the ribs meat side down, roller the sides down tight to the middle of the ribs and then roll the ends up.  I haven't had to many troubles with my foil braking through doing it this way.

Here are some down I did on my WSM this summer.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • mlc2013
    Ladevack69 thanks for the tips ill keep trying 
    Long Island NY    
  • stlcharcoal
    edited February 2018
    mlc2013 said:
    stlcharcoal I ordered a smokeware cap last night plus a adjustable rig, hoping to solve both possible problems. I have another question, Is it imperative to cover the whole firebox with lump or can I use Angle brackets like these, (https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/big-green-egg-xl-accessories-by-ceramic-grill-store/products/xl-ang-l-brackets-pair-bge) to keep lump tighter packed, will that affect cook at all. This is what the firebox looked like today after last nights flame out

You can use a ring or a bracket, but you still need to heat the entire XL--so you're not saving thing, just keeping a smaller amount packed together in a section.  Easier method, just fill it up to the top of the fire ring every time......and/or run a temp controller.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Hold 225F all the time, but in doing so,I clean out the BGE very well. I light it using a canola oil soaked paper towel, placed in the center towards the rear.
    I have cooked in all types of weather, with and without controllers, and have had zero problems.
    Rain on the scale of Noah's Ark would be needed to extinguish the fire in a BGE.
    Load your lump to the top of the fire ring, and let her rip.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • mlc2013
    YukonRon said:
    Hold 225F all the time, but in doing so,I clean out the BGE very well. I light it using a canola oil soaked paper towel, placed in the center towards the rear.
    I have cooked in all types of weather, with and without controllers, and have had zero problems.
    Rain on the scale of Noah's Ark would be needed to extinguish the fire in a BGE.
    Load your lump to the top of the fire ring, and let her rip.
    Thank you that was going to be my next question what is the best way to light coal? I have been using BGE lump but after reading all of these post I just order Rockwood lump (local Ace). I must admit I currently make a teepee in the middle of grill with a BGE fire starter on the bottom and light it, it smokes like crazy for 15-20 minutes and then i mix the lump put on grill grate and platesetter and let it warm up another 20-30 minutes, but I never waited for the smoke to turn blue or not be so thick. I had to relocate the grill because of the offensive smoke a start up. Hopefully the RW doesn't smoke as bad and using a different lighting method helps.

Long Island NY    
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    There is no best way to light the fire.  Many options will work.  Fire starters work well, but take some time.  Impatient people like using propane torches of some kind to blast the charcoal. Cooking oil soaked paper towels work well.  Electric starters and charcoal chimneys are used.  Find a way that works for you and then focus on other aspects of the cook.  The starting method does not impact the quality of the end result.

Best way to tell if the smoke is ok to cook with is smell.  Smell the smoke - if it smells like something you would eat (which is what you will be doing) then its time to start cooking.  If it smells like an ash tray, don't put your food on yet (unless you like eating ash tray food).  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    I have a large, but when I do a Low and Slow I fill the fire box to the top, then light one spot in the center towards the air inlet. Once that's burning well I close the lid and throttle the airflow back to let the whole thing cook for a while and offgass any nasties. I can hold 225* - 250* for 12 hours or more.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    you will find all eggs have a "natural" low temp. My XL always settles in at around 250-275. any lower and it chokes out. 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    I agree with above comments - it was likely not the rain and I would raise the temp a bit.

I used to do all the wrapping and whatnot with ribs.  It became such a process, that I quit cooking ribs altogether.

Then, one day, I said what the heck, lets just go simple and see what happens.  What happened was great ribs and a lot less fuss.  This is what I do:

1.  Remove membrain and put commercial dry rub on both sides (usually a dizzy pig rub or one from a local Memphis BBQ restaurant).

2.  Lay racks flat bone side down in bge (I can get 4 racks) on my large with a second level grid) at 275 till they prob with no resistance (about 6 hours). Use whatever smoke wood you like or none at all.

3. Mop and leave on egg for 20 minutes more. (My mop is usually equal parts commercial bbq sauce and apple cider vinegar and add bourbon to taste)

That's it - you can FTC if you want to hold them for a while.  Or just let them rest a while and eat.

These were donee yesterday - pic taken just after mop. They were fantastic.

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • mlc2013
    I agree with above comments - it was likely not the rain and I would raise the temp a bit.

Thank you I’m up for trying any and all different approaches and recipes. I’ll give the no foil no fuss an attempt and will see how we like them. 
    Long Island NY    
  • Hntrss
    Hntrss Posts: 16
    I finally went no foil myself , about 5 hours indirect.  The ribs were my best ever, just enough pull to stay on the bone and be eaten the way a rib should be eaten.  I doubt I will be going back to foil as well.  Try it next time, probe tender and about 190-200 IT should get you to your happy place.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Im a 275 guy for ribs
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • mlc2013
    Okay Im going to try the ribs again today and its pouring rain out again so I figured a perfect test. I did not put the smoke cap on so im still using the daisy wheel. This time im going for a straight dry cook no foiling. Question do I have to spray with apple juice or anything else occasionally or just let cook. I going indirect 275 4 rib racks with a second level grid figuring 4-5 hours. amy suggestions.
    Long Island NY    
  • stlcharcoal
    I don't because every time you open the dome you let a huge amount of moisture out, then introduce a bunch of cold dry air and oxygen......which can throw off your stabilized temp especially when you're not running a controller.  
    If the Egg is running good, don't open the lid.
  • mlc2013
    okay so i did babyback on bottom rack and st louis on top rack 275 indirect for 4 hours without looking and the baby back (bottom) got a little to done and the st louis (top rack) were perfect
    Long Island NY    
  • Baby back don't take as long as spares to cook. Next time reverse them. Put spares on bottom and start the BB's about an hour later. 
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset