Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood versus Royal Oak

I'be had my LBGE about 18 months now and have gone through 4 bags of BGE lump and about 8 bags of Royal Oak. I've been happy except for one stinky bag of Royal Oak. I had occasion to pick up some Rockwood this weekend and thought I'd post my impressions.

I found lump size was about the same as Royal Oak, with perhaps a few larger pieces. It seemed lighter by volume. It lit very easily and transitioned from the "white smoke" to "blue smoke" very quickly. Rockwood claims that their product is very responsive to changes in airflow (temp control) and I found this to be the case. Once up to temp it has a very mild smoky smell, and didn't impart much smoke flavor to the meat. I see this as a positive, as I like to use hardwood chunks of various types to tailor the smoke flavor profile.

I started with a 6 hour low and slow on a couple racks of ribs. When they came off I jacked the temp up and roasted a whole chicken for a couple hours. There is still plenty of lump remaining. 

Going forward I'll use the Rockwood for poultry and fish and use my remaining Royal Oak (4 bags) for beef and pork. If the Rockwood continues to shine as I expect I'll make a wholesale change once Royal Oak inventory is depleted.

Only one problem: The nearest retailer is an hour or so North of me. I lobbied my local ACE Hardware (and BGE Dealer) but they'll only carry BGE brand and Cowboy lump. (Cowboy?  :o ) I head North every couple months so if I plan ahead I should be OK. I guess I can always have it shipped three bags at a time if I get in a pinch.

Michiana, South of the border.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I thought any Ace could order it, free ship to store. The SKU has been posted many times, SKU 8400772.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    I thought any Ace could order it, free ship to store. The SKU has been posted many times, SKU 8400772.
    "Could" and "Would" appear to be two separate things. I'll ask the owner.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited February 2018
    Teefus said:

I found lump size was about the same as Royal Oak, with perhaps a few larger pieces. It seemed lighter by volume. It lit very easily and transitioned from the "white smoke" to "blue smoke" very quickly. Rockwood claims that their product is very responsive to changes in airflow (temp control) and I found this to be the case.

Only one problem: The nearest retailer is an hour or so North of me. I lobbied my local ACE Hardware (and BGE Dealer) but they'll only carry ....
    This goes hand and hand.  The reason it's lighter by volume is because carbon weighs less than wood & water.  Just like when you pull a have used piece a charcoal out of the Egg (feels like you're just lifting up a ball of paper), same thing is going on here.  More water and wood has been cooked out, so you're left higher carbonized product.  It's lighter for the same volume, but you're buying charcoal by weight.

Unless you're ticked at that Ace, you can order online at acehardware.com and have it shipped to that store (or any store) for free.  Just search the brand name on their website.  It will show up on the truck with the rest of their weekly delivery from the Ohio warehouse.  You'll get an email when you can pick it up.  Make sure you sign up for the rewards.  Sometimes it might be cheaper if they order it for you at the store using SKU 8400772.  Just depends on how their pricing is set up.  Or you can always order directly from us and have it shipped to your door.  3 bags at a time = free shipping, no sales tax.

BTW, one thing to keep in mind about other big box store brands (and this could be good or bad), they are BIG companies with DOZENS of charcoal plants / sources all over the globe.  Ours comes from the same set of kilns and from the same wood source, every single time ever since day one......and it still varies from bag to bag because it's an all natural product.  As much as I love our product being #1 on TNW, I feel some of the other may get a bad rap because people only vote when they get a bad bag (which may be totally different from the bag they buy at the same store next week just because of which plant it came out of.)  But then there are also some that have abused the system.  Either way, you have to be the judge in the end.
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    I used to use Rockwood all the time when I could get it from Firecraft. Five bags for a bill was a good price. A lot better than three for eighty, that’s for sure. I am down to one bag now. I’ve kinda been saving it.  Seems everywhere, it’s now 27ish a bag. I love it and wish I could keep using it. But at that price, it’s just too expensive for me. I can get Royal Smoke for 5-6 dollars per an 8lb bag. I know Rockwood is better but it’s twice the price! I did sign up for an account through ace and received a ten dollar off deal. So I will get a bag with that, but for now my wallet has to stick with the Royal Oak. 
    NW IOWA
  • stlcharcoal
    Philly35 said: 
    I used to use Rockwood all the time when I could get it from Firecraft. Five bags for a bill was a good price. A lot better than three for eighty, that’s for sure. 
    Yep, that was a hell of a deal.  Unfortunately, that's kinda was their downfall since they weren't making any money.  Their shipping discount was a lot better than ours, but I can tell you that even at that price we are still barely breaking even or losing money on some of these shipments.  That dim-weight system implemented a few years ago really nailed them and keeps getting us no matter how much I've tweaked the box dimensions.  But we don't sell a lot online, it's something we just do for folks that don't have any other option.

• Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    edited February 2018

Order it online and select the Free Pickup at Your Local Ace.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=142863556

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• stlcharcoal
    Webass said:

Order it online and select the Free Pickup at Your Local Ace.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=142863556

One thing to note, that's higher than what some stores charge, or so we've been told.  I don't know how/where/why the online ordering works the way it does.  You might check around if it's in stock locally and/or what the store would charge you if they "special" order it for you though their "AceNet" vs. you ordering directly from acehardware.com.  Might save a few bucks if you have the time or go through a lot of it.  The rewards program and their constant barrage of coupons is the way to go.  I have never paid full price for anything at Ace.

***PSA:  Sometime next week, Ace Hardware should be running a big sale through the southern US.  I believe it's TX, LA, AL, MS, GA, FL, SC, and maybe more.  Keep an eye on the flyer that comes in the mail or online--we should be in it.  This is the first one, so I don't really know what to expect.  They ordered a $#&%load of charcoal to stock up for it, so I imagine it's going to be big.***
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Just make a road trip and buy enough to last six months or a year. 
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    Just make a road trip and buy enough to last six months or a year. 
    That's pretty much the plan for now. I get up there periodically and will grab 3-4 bags at a time.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Philly35 said: 
    I used to use Rockwood all the time when I could get it from Firecraft. Five bags for a bill was a good price. A lot better than three for eighty, that’s for sure. 
    Yep, that was a hell of a deal.  Unfortunately, that's kinda was their downfall since they weren't making any money.  Their shipping discount was a lot better than ours, but I can tell you that even at that price we are still barely breaking even or losing money on some of these shipments.  That dim-weight system implemented a few years ago really nailed them and keeps getting us no matter how much I've tweaked the box dimensions.  But we don't sell a lot online, it's something we just do for folks that don't have any other option.

If I pickup in StL, what is cost?
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    Ace also has "Wicked Good"...you will not be disappointed 
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Carolina Q
    billt01 said:
    Ace also has "Wicked Good"...you will not be disappointed 
    @billt01, Love WG, but I thought ACE no longer carried it. Have they started again?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• billt01
    The one out in McDonough has had pallets for a few years..The also carry BGE, Rockwood, Cowboy, and Stubbs brickettes...If anyone has never tried Stubbs, its awesome as well
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    I just checked, not available from Ace any longer. But they also don't list Rockwood on their site either, Just Kamado Joe and Cowboy for lump.
  • GrillSgt
    WG can be ordered from Walmart with free shipping. Free? Hah. $38.96 for 20 lb.
  • stlcharcoal
    edited February 2018
    GrillSgt said:
    I just checked, not available from Ace any longer. But they also don't list Rockwood on their site either, Just Kamado Joe and Cowboy for lump.

We're on there:  http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=142863556

If you're not available nationwide then you're not on the website.  Also, I hear if you ever backorder them, they'll pull you from the website.
  • Carolina Q
    GrillSgt said:
    I just drive 30 miles to the WG warehouse. About $13 for 20 lb. =)

GrillSgt said:
     But they also don't list Rockwood on their site either, Just Kamado Joe and Cowboy for lump.
    Sure they do...

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GrillSgt
    Haha. Search for "lump charcoal" and you don't get RW but you do if you search for "charcoal".
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @Carolina Q - I would never burn anything else with access to WGWW at that price.  Used to be able to buy locally (50 mile RT) but no longer.  Last I checked their shipping $$ priced it too high for me.   Thankfully RW to the rescue.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited February 2018
    if you are local to CGS in North Texas, we have 4 bag Rockwood special for less than a buck a pound, sorry in store only........similar 3 bag Fogo special......

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • stlcharcoal
    edited February 2018
    GrillSgt said:
    Haha. Search for "lump charcoal" and you don't get RW but you do if you search for "charcoal".

Which is totally messed up because "lump" is in the title, and it's listed as "LUMP CHARCOAL" under product type.  Search engines are so finicky.

EDIT:  Just emailed our Ace rep in Chicago so we can hopefully get that fixed.  Thanks for the heads up.
  • Carolina Q
    @lousubcap, Yeah, you have to buy a lot, but you can usually find guys to split an order. Last time, 3 of us bought 30 bags. Great stuff!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• billt01
    GrillSgt said:

no one likes a braggart  ;)
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited February 2018
    billt01 said:
    GrillSgt said:

That 20lb of lump will last him 3 years.  ;)
  • billt01
    billt01 said:
    GrillSgt said:

damn shame
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Carolina Q
    billt01 said:
    GrillSgt said:

Most of the meals I cook are done over charcoal. But thanks.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dopey
    dopey Posts: 201
    @lousubcap, Yeah, you have to buy a lot, but you can usually find guys to split an order. Last time, 3 of us bought 30 bags. Great stuff!
    You think anyone would be wanting to do that again?  I'll pick it up. Last time I had just gotten 9 bags from firecraft when you were discussing it with fellow CT boys, but that's been long gone.
    What I do when I'm black out drunk is none of my business...

John Central CT
  • Carolina Q
    dopey said:
    You think anyone would be wanting to do that again?  I'll pick it up. Last time I had just gotten 9 bags from firecraft when you were discussing it with fellow CT boys, but that's been long gone.
    I still have some left from last time, but was planning to just post a new thread when I was running low. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut