Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Anyone In To Homebrewing?

A friend sent me some photos of tap handles he started making. I feel they are very cool. Anyone else make their own?

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• I have a 3 keggle electric HERMS setup that needs the finishing touches on. I love homebrewing. I do 10 gallon batches 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    I want to be. Done a few extract batches. Looking into different all grain setups, possibly a grainfather. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Jeremiah said:b
    I want to be. Done a few extract batches. Looking into different all grain setups, possibly a grainfather. 
    I have also done a few extract batches and want to start all grain.  Unfortunately, work has been too busy for too long .
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • I am but right after I got the brewery I found the space I had allocated for it had been usurped.  So now I have a new in crate brewery and no place to set it up.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Not a home brewer myself....interesting thread.

On an unrelated note.....I read the other day that growler fills are on the decline....and micro breweries are moving more towards bottling and canning their brews. My point....it’s too easy to get some really good brews......plus I like drinking @Jeremiah ‘s beer.  =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • I can understand moving away from growlers.  A lot of places fill them directly from the bars tap so you're losing a lot of CO2 and introducing a lot of oxygen.  Which would be fine if you plan to finish it that day.  Otherwise it has a minuscule shelf life.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Yeah, haven't brewed for a while tho
    edited February 2018
    The Flying V Fermentory has been crafting homebrews since 2015.  Heck, it's even in my Egghead Forum signature!  (sorta...)

All grain, 5 gal batches. Tend to stick closer to classic styles with just a touch of variation - for instance, Imperial Irish Red, Hoppy Wheat, Oktoberfest/Marzen, Cream Ale, Apple Pie Cider, Dry Irish Stout with figs... things like that.

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I like to bring beer, but I’ve never made it.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    CTMike said:
    A friend sent me some photos of tap handles he started making. I feel they are very cool. Anyone else make their own?

Where can I order a set of the skulls?
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Those are pretty cool. If I ever move from bottling to kegs, I'd probably order some.

FYI - all grain BIAB, do 2.5 gallon batches and usually brew 2 in one day every 3 weeks or so. Just did a stout and an ESB so we can have black and tans ready for St. Patty's Day.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• The_Stache
    Griffin said:

Those are pretty cool. If I ever move from bottling to kegs, I'd probably order some.

FYI - all grain BIAB, do 2.5 gallon batches and usually brew 2 in one day every 3 weeks or so. Just did a stout and an ESB so we can have black and tans ready for St. Patty's Day.

@Griffin, Once you move to kegs (they do make some 2.5 shorties) you'll wonder why it took so long to do that!!!  Bottling is a PITA.  The only thing I bottle now are Barleywines as they need to sit for 1+ years to get right.

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Griffin
    Griffin said:

@Griffin, Once you move to kegs (they do make some 2.5 shorties) you'll wonder why it took so long to do that!!!  Bottling is a PITA.  The only thing I bottle now are Barleywines as they need to sit for 1+ years to get right.

Yeah, I just need to convince the wife to let me put a keezer or a kegerator in the dining room. I don't want to have to walk past my sleeping sons room and out to the garage every time I need a refill. So that would be a fridge in the kitchen, a fridge in the garage, a dorm fridge as a fermentation chamber in the dining room and another one for kegs. She'll love that idea.

I honestly don't mind bottling days that much. Doesn't take long to do a 2.5G batch. And my son hands me bottles and then helps cap them. Is it bad that my 3 year old helps out? LOL And walks around saying "My dad likes beer. You like beer too?"

Rowlett, Texas

• My son calls them beards lol

• Griffin said:
    Griffin said:

Yeah, I just need to convince the wife to let me put a keezer or a kegerator in the dining room. I don't want to have to walk past my sleeping sons room and out to the garage every time I need a refill. So that would be a fridge in the kitchen, a fridge in the garage, a dorm fridge as a fermentation chamber in the dining room and another one for kegs. She'll love that idea.

I honestly don't mind bottling days that much. Doesn't take long to do a 2.5G batch. And my son hands me bottles and then helps cap them. Is it bad that my 3 year old helps out? LOL And walks around saying "My dad likes beer. You like beer too?"

I do BIAB 5 gal here. 

Definitely the extraction i look for, without the three level semi auto setup that I dream of owning, someday...

Bottles make it so I can revisit old brews a year or so later, and give Beer away. Bottles are free from a local pub (or restaurant ;) )

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• I do extract batches, and we use grolsch style bottles. Pia, but very portable. Haven’t brewed in awhile though, been keeping the local micro brewers in business.
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • Smoker317
    Smoker317 Posts: 238
    edited February 2018
    Can one brew up a coffee flavor beer like Sierra Nevada's Coffee Stout, etc?  How would one even begin to guess how much of each ingredient or is something like this truly trial and error?

The website states the ingredients are:
    • Yeast Ale yeast
    • Bittering Hops Nugget
    • Finishing Hops Nugget
    • Malts Two-row Pale, Caramel, Chocolate, Wheat, Brown

Rich, cold-weather wonder

A cup of joe and a bold beer are both cold-weather companions, so we blended them for the ultimate warmer. Our Coffee Stout is a fusion of dark roasted malts and rich, cold-brewed coffee for layers of bittersweet, fruity, dark chocolate and caramel-like flavors.

This beer is seasonal and only comes in a variety pack.  I like the coffee beer but do not care for the other beer in the pack.

Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • The_Stache
    edited February 2018
    There are several "clone" web sites for recipes available... Some are really close, some are just close but usually pretty good.

Here's an example here's an extract version...

http://brewgr.com/recipe/32327/sierra-nevada-coffee-stout-clone-american-stout-recipe

I tend to start with BeerSmith for an all grain approach.  The tool (BeerSmith) can give you some good guidance as you move forward.

https://beersmithrecipes.com/searchrecipe?uid=&term=coffee+stout&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&sort=Best+Match&rated=0

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Great website, thanks!
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I bought this book, pretty good.

Image result for clone brews

•   My fellow home brewers may already know this but I just found out.......  Inbev bought Northern brewer, Midwest brewing supplies.  For some reason this is appalling to me, I can just imagine 20 years ago these fat cats saying, "home brewing? what the hells that? should be illegal"!  They have slowly been buying up micro macro breweries but this is really crossing the line!
      I have switched to www.morebeer.com

It would be like Royal oak buying rockwood
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• not affiliated with morebeer, last night was my first order from them fwiw.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Austin homebrew ftw. 

I emailed a question  to them one time about the millenium  and falconer hops, and the guy guy replied to me in a straight up Darth Vader accent.  No lie. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Griffin

My fellow home brewers may already know this but I just found out.......  Inbev bought Northern brewer, Midwest brewing supplies.  For some reason this is appalling to me, I can just imagine 20 years ago these fat cats saying, "home brewing? what the hells that? should be illegal"!  They have slowly been buying up micro macro breweries but this is really crossing the line!
      I have switched to www.morebeer.com

It would be like Royal oak buying rockwood

Yep, old news. Caused quite the stir on HomebrewTalk.com. I think I only ever made one or two orders from them back when I started (their bourbon barrel porter is really good, even better if you can age it. Around Christmas I drank my last one from the first batch that was three years old and it was amazing.) If you are interested in their recipes, they list all the ingredients and you can just go to your local homebrew store, but seeing you name is alaskanassasin that might be quite a trip. My closest store is a 30 minute drive and I usually go pick up ingredients for my next two or three batches at one time.

Rowlett, Texas

•  I found and book marked their recipe page thanks!  I currently live in the middle of nowhere Ohio. I brew 10 gallon batches and buy 2row by the 50lb bags, northern brewer was around $55 per bag including shipping, the last hbs I visited in Columbus wanted $70+!  I found a hbs in Dayton that sells them for $55 so I am looking forward to checking them out! 
           Found a Butcher in Springfield, also on my field trip list!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I am a drinker but not maker. It seems fun tho