Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need advice with wings

Options
I have been normally making wings with the XL by just rinsing and refrigerator drying for about 4 hours and cooking indirect at 375 till about 175 and they were fair but not crisp. After reading some about using baking powder before the refrigerator, I tried adding baking powder to the wings and the refrigerated for 5 hours and cooked at 375 until 180-190. These were very soft and not at all crispy but were done.  Also, these were larger wings than previously used. How can I crisp them up now and what did I do wrong.
I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Pat dry and 24 hours in the fridge. cook at 400 raised direct. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Use corn starch and not baking powder. Killit gives you the correct setup. 375-400. Flip a few times. Keep an eye on them. Wings are not a walk away cook if you desire crispy.
  • Atl_Buckeye
    Options
    I just did my first attempt at wings last night and was pretty pleased with the results. I marinated them for about 4 or 5 hours then pull out, patted dry added dry rub and corn starch back to the fridge for a couple hours. Cooked at 275 (grate temp which is about 325 in the dome) for about an hour and a half (indirect). Then I put the spurs to them and cranked up the egg to 400 on the grate for about 10 min. There were a couple of wings sacraficed during this period. The gaps around the edges of the plate setter allowed a bit flame and charred the crap out of a couple of the wings that I had on the very edge of the grate.

I was pretty pleased with these. 
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Corn starch helps but also cooking them at a higher temp. I normally cook 400 - 425 raised direct and they seem to get quite crispy. 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    I have gone back and forth regarding cooking wings indirect or raised direct and for the past few years have settled on raised direct, as high in the dome as I can get running around 375*F (+/-) flipping around every 15 minutes til finished.  I also go with the overnight fridge air-dry.  Experiment and you will find the setup that works for you.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • OshawaDave
    Options
    I put 25 or so wings in a Ziploc bag with 2 oz. of vegetable oil and shake them up to cover all the wings with a light coating of oil.....grill them direct at 375-400 turning every 8 minutes. they turn out crispy without deep frying them.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• dopey
    dopey Posts: 201
    Options
    This is my ghetto setup that works really well wether or not you dry the heck out of the wings or not.  Plate setter upside down not in the grooves, regular cooking grate on top of that, a few sheets of aluminum foil to catch the fat (left out for the pic) then the fire grate from a 22.5 weber kettle raised with some 4" carriage bolts.

Heat soak the grill until there's no smoke and it's at 400 without the dfmtaisywheel thing.  Fully open top, adjust the heat with the bottom vent.  

Toss the wings on and you don't have to flip them because they heat pretty evenly from top and bottom, and when they're done, they just release easily from the grate and have great bubbled skin like they were deep fried. 

This is an XL as well.
    What I do when I'm black out drunk is none of my business...

John Central CT
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I gave up and just fry them now. Much easier. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    edited February 2018
    Options
    try adding the baking powder and seasoning after they have been refrigerated maybe 5 minutes before grilling and try 400-450 works for me I mix 1 tblspoon baking powder, ½ tsp salt, 2 tsp garlic powder, blackk pepper and toss the wings 4 lbs then put on grill for 1 hour turning twice

Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Corn starch mixed 3-1 with your favorite rub.   Raised indirect about 4” above felt line and running about 425°.  Time is different every time.  You’ll know when they’re done.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    @Jeremiah - If you are good with the fryer process then no issues but have you given them around 20-24 hrs in the beer fridge and then cooked raised direct??  No need for the starch drill. If nothing else the clean-up is worth a few wings.  BTW the box wine fridge doesn't count  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Jeremiah - If you are good with the fryer process then no issues but have you given them around 20-24 hrs in the beer fridge and then cooked raised direct??  No need for the starch drill. If nothing else the clean-up is worth a few wings.  BTW the box wine fridge doesn't count  =)
    He looses a couple wing cook offs and takes his football and goes home. Frys his wings? Come on J. You can do this. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @Jeremiah        
    Do you still hold the wing championships?
    I had planned on coming down to the event this year, to pick up that trophy and add it to my already over stuffed wing trophy room. Already cleared out a space for it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Honestly @lousubcap I haven't done the 24 hr fridge process. Wings here are usually a last minute thought cook. Grab a pack from the store, dump them in the dryer, and sauce. And no boxed wine on wing nights. @YukonRon no worries. There will be a wing ding 3 for you to come up with pitiful excuses to not attend. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Honestly @lousubcap I haven't done the 24 hr fridge process. Wings here are usually a last minute thought cook. Grab a pack from the store, dump them in the dryer, and sauce. And no boxed wine on wing nights. @YukonRon no worries. There will be a wing ding 3 for you to come up with pitiful excuses to not attend. 
    @Jeremiah
    No excuses brother. I had to spend the time straightening out my Trophy room with all the cooking awards I have won over the last few years. I wanted to make a space for The Wing Ding III trophy this year.
    You could hardly walk around in the room before I straightened it out.
    But you know how it is, winning trophies all the time....
    It is going over on the corner counter space I cleared on the left. I will be driving down in my new F350 turbo diesel extended cab long bed 4x4 I won at the last BBQ event.

Just having fun brother Jeremiah......
    Only trophies I ever won was the cutting board at Brent's Lakeapalooza, and the important one, My Beautiful Wife.
    I am planning to attend. If work or crisis does not get in the way, I will be there.
    You're the best,
    Thank you for the invitation.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky