Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chicken buffalo wings fail

As I have stated before buffalo wings are my nemesis.  I can fry chicken with gravy and cream potatoes.  I can smoke chicken quarters, or a whole chicken, I can deep fry a chicken, I can even chicken from old Kentucky.  But I've tried buffalo wings direct, indirect, raised direct, with corn starch, without corn starch, fried in a cast iron,  and it's not up to my standards.  I would just as soon go to east coast wings.  I am officially giving up on wangs. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Tell us how they came out and what you didn’t like 
    Jacksonville FL
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    bgebrent said:
    Your basketball heritage is the root of your failures.  It is simple, right up your alley.  Get your egg to 350-400 dome.  Raised direct (i.e. Above the gasket).  Dry the wings out overnight in your basement fridge.  Season as yo pease pre--cook. Then cook em!  Turn about half way.  Boom!  This formally ends the scientific portion of this program.
    Hey Brent, UNC can't win it all every year, It wouldn't be fair. https://youtu.be/VrmJq8XFwkA

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    I'm trying to help yer old retired ass how to cook!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    If your lookin for crispy wings just open the package, rub with you favorite wing rub 3/1 with cornstarch.  Cook raised direct(3” above felt) flip about 15mins in.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    It may not work on the Egg, but on my indirect smoker, I smoke the wings for about 2 hours @ 160 degrees and then flash fry the wings for a couple of minutes @ 350 degrees to crisp.
    It's the best of both worlds.......very good smoke flavor and very crisp skin.
    After frying I toss the wings in whatever sauce I'm using.

This is a very easy method that yields consistent results. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Holy chi,t.  There you go brother .

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bgebrent said:
    I'm trying to help yer old retired ass how to cook!
    So, Nicole is telling you what to type?
  • She really needs her own account. 
  • "Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Indirect, plate setter legs up, grate on legs, 275, flip once in awhile.  Wings done when you like them done.  Never had a problem with them and everyone always wants me to make them.  Twice a month is normal.  Just watch the sections where the plate setter doesn't cover the coals
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    edited February 2018
    @Mickey 's wings don't need cornstarch and they are crispy.  Nuke temps, direct, and the key .... copious amounts of alchohol until you pass out.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Anyone try smoking wings then dump in the airfryer????? I might just have to try it to see what the results might be...
     Atlanta Ga.

Large EGG, AR
  • 375 degrees on indirect for 45 minutes. Perfect every time!
    Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Come on up. We will fix this, once and for all. Leave that Tar Heel shid at your front door, I will teach the secrets to wings that are undefeated in any contest.
    It ain't braggin' when it is fact bro.
    Unlike UNC basketball, I will guarantee no more humiliating losses.
    Learn from the ayatollah of rock and rollah.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    YukonRon said:
    Come on up. We will fix this, once and for all. Leave that Tar Heel shid at your front door, I will teach the secrets to wings that are undefeated in any contest.
    That is not fair.  When you pair your wings with your knowledge of spirits I bet it is unbeatable.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    @Mickey 's wings don't need cornstarch and they are crispy.  Nuke temps, direct, and the key .... copious amounts of alchohol until you pass out.

This photo was one of our topics Saturday night.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    YukonRon said:
    Alright! Me and Mrs. Bucky are heading up and bringing our "go big blue" garb. We will be knocking on the door sometime Tuesday morning.  Good wings are way more important than sports!

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    bucky925 said:
    YukonRon said:
    Alright! Me and Mrs. Bucky are heading up and bringing our "go big blue" garb. We will be knocking on the door sometime Tuesday morning.  Good wings are way more important than sports!

How about after MG?
    We be good with thst!!!!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Not withstanding Mikey's example of trying to make lump charcoal from chicken wings, I think the biggest problem with wings is overcooking. 

People think, hey, this is dark meat, needs the bejesus cooked outta it so it'll be tender.  Thing is, they're small and they cook super fast.  Folks will cook them where the outside looks done.  Temp?  Naw, too small to themapen it.  They are not very good if overcooked.  Jerky.   They will withstand abundant overcooking before quality degrades, so they are actually very forgiving.

Dry them and cook 'em hot to get the "done" looking outside.  In general, they are done in 45 minutes, but you can drag that out to 2 hours if you cook slow. 

Depending on how you prep them and your cooking temp, the outside can look almost raw or burned with the inside being perfect.

I cook around 350 indirect for about 45 minutes to an hour.  I dry them, coat with baking powder and cornstarch, hit 'em with hot sauce or something, maybe, whatever I feel like.

The trick is to sacrifice one or two by tasting when you are into the cook and decide to pull or carry on.   There is no substitute, time/temp formulas or magic, to tasting what you are cooking and making a judgement to pulling or carrying on.

No one „wing fails“ like Mickey „wing fails“!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95