Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Italian Pork w Broccoli Rabe

Options
Here are some pics now.    I’ll get a better Sammie pic when we start putting them together at the SB party.  

After 5 hours at 225 on the XL

Broccoli rabe

Done
wish i had a better angle of it.  

Thanks for looking.  
=======================================
XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
Tampa Bay, FL
EIB 6 Oct 95

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man that looks amazing. Great idea for something different with pork and a great homage to Philly

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    ^^^^ +1
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Man that looks amazing. Great idea for something different with pork and a great homage to Philly
    Many thanks.  It’s a great combo of flavors!
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks great!  What did the people that hate broccoli eat?
    Options
    @thetrim

that's what i am looking for, but was that a BI ham and which was only cooked for 5 hrs @225?  And did you chill it and slice or did you chop it up?

Also, what was spice mix?

Thanks mucho!
  • thetrim
    Options
    I cook it just like any pulled pork.  This was done all on the egg. Next time I would finish it in either a crock pot or in a pan in the egg to help retain more juices.   I would also add some chicken stock to it when putting it in a pot.  

So o pulled this one.  Spice blend was an off the shelf Italian spice blend with some garlic powder and some red pepper flakes. 

In the next few weeks, I’m gonna do an experiment cook with a friend of mine to try and refine this recipe a bit.  

Ill report back.  
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • KennyCJR
    KennyCJR Posts: 262
    Options
    Nice cook @thetrim .  Looking forward to v2. 
    Llano, TX   -  Med and XL BGE’s
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Looks great!  What did the people that hate broccoli eat?
    John's Roast Pork uses spinach instead of rabe. What I read anyway. Never been to any Philly sammich place.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Found it (John's, spinach, not rabe)...

"It's my place, I'll do what I want."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAspUAyuEtc

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Good looking grub brother👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I cook it just like any pulled pork.  This was done all on the egg. Next time I would finish it in either a crock pot or in a pan in the egg to help retain more juices.   I would also add some chicken stock to it when putting it in a pot.  

So o pulled this one.  Spice blend was an off the shelf Italian spice blend with some garlic powder and some red pepper flakes. 

In the next few weeks, I’m gonna do an experiment cook with a friend of mine to try and refine this recipe a bit.  

Ill report back.  
    I've just been asked to make the Philly pork sandwiches for a housewarming bbq next month.    I think ill do it like a pulled pork but with Italian spices
    The bark should be tasty and add some much needed texture

Ill put results up here as well
  • thetrim
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Found it (John's, spinach, not rabe)...

"It's my place, I'll do what I want."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAspUAyuEtc
    Great video!

Thank you for posting.

I've been to John's, and it was amazing!  I did prefer DiNic's.  Kind of like comparing Picasso to van Gogh, but they were my preferred roast pork.

When done right, I think Broccoli rabe is one of the more delicious vege dishes and compliments the flavor of the pork, sharp provolone, and roll unbelievably well.

John did win a James Beard award while working in a very small, old, hole in the wall sandwich shop in South Philly, so I really can't compete w what he thinks re: spinach vs rabe.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Something different for sure. I wonder if a picnic roast would be better for this .I'm with you @thetrim I'm thinking finishing in a broth or something would make it better. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Carolina Q
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Dinic's braises in pork stock and wine (which I think is the same liquid they pour over the sandwich to finish). Around 2:15 in the vid. Not sure what cut they use for the roast pork and rabe sandwich, but they cook to an IT of 200° for pullable so I gather it's a butt or shoulder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfZzAGcfink&t=85s

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• thetrim
    Options
    Yeah, it's a shoulder and when you visit, they have a bunch of them sitting there looking at you as if to say, "dude, you could never make anything quite as good as I am!"

They also offer BOTH a roast pork sandwich (that get's all the good press and was Adam Richmond's favorite sandwich in America) and a pulled pork sandwich (many of the workers/locals will tell you that's the best.  I've had both with years between tastings.  I'm still kicking myself that I didn't do a side by side.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    And they braise their brisket?  Haha
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    I previously saw a video that showed it's a three days process.  Season day 1, roast or smoke day 2, then slice it (roast pork), and pull it (pulled pork), braise in the gravy and serve on day 3.

I'll  give a look see for it, and see what I can come up with.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95