Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing my first prime rib for a party this weekend, and need some good step by step help. Thanks a lot everyone

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Tom Robertson, check out Dr Chicken's prime rib recipe - it will knock their socks off! The googd Dr will probably even coach you through it via e-mail!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Tom Robertson,
    Anyhow, I do mine in a manner adapted from Alan Z's page and almost exactly like DJM's. I powder the outside of the roast with garlic and onion powder, and coarse ground pepper. You notice that I didn't say salt. Well you can use a little but I don't find it necessary, that's what the au-juice is for! Get a cast iron skillet red hot and sear the entire outside of the roast. I would suggest that if you have a side burner on the old, unused gas grill, that you do the searing outside for two reasons; you'll avoid setting off the smoke alarm and you'll drive the neighbors CRAZY. I put my bone in roast bone down and pull at 136 for rare, and 138-140 for medium rare. Let the roast rest for ten minutes or so before slicing. I use the Lawry's awe-jooce in the packet and horseradish for seasoning. I would also suggest letting the roast sit on the counter for a few hours before cooking to ensure a more even cook to avoid the Montezuma heart carving ceremony. By the way, throw the foil wrapped potatoes on the grill at about 80 degrees meat temp and they'll be done at the same time as the roast. WARNING, you're going to ruin yourself for going out. A egged prime rib makes restaraunt prepared prime rib taste like cafeteria food when you were a kid. It is IMPERATIVE that you use a meat thermometer for this. The difference between perfection and disaster is only a short time. Any dome temp from 300 to 350 will do. By the way, throw a couple of great big yellow onions, unpeeled, uncut, on the coals when you close it up. You'll notice a deep pink ring on the outside of the roast that is oh-so-good!

• Tom Robertson,
    You can find the recipe in the "New Recipes" file. If you'll e-mail me, I'll give you some tips and pointers!
    Once you try this one, you'll never be satisfied with eating prime rib out, ever again![p]Just my humble opinion though! :-)))[p]
    Dr. Chicken

• Tom Robertson,
    Well, everyone is right, you wont be at steak and ale for prime rib any more. Here's how I do mine easy. Garlic salt, then pam olive oil spray, onino salt,then spray, seasonal salt then spray Montrel steak seeson then spray. Have your butcher cut the bone then tie it on, put some onions in the space between. Put on a v rack with drip pan 300 deg. 155 internal will do. Cut in slices with electric knife. enjoy. There are many who know more than me on this forum. But this is simple and works. Good luck Uncle Dave