Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pork butt reheat question...

Options
My neighbor cooked a 9.5 lb butt yesterday for the Super Bowl. Do you think reheating with my sous vide is the best way to go? If so, what temp and how long?
Canton, GA
LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Yes, I reheat in the SV.
    It really doesn't require high temp to reheat. I usually use 140 Deg SV temp. How long is dependent on how much pork you are reheating. I always pull the pork before refrigerating and Vac seal it in portion size bags. In my case I'm usually bagging 1 to 1.5 pounds per bag.
    It only takes 20 min or so to reheat a 1 pound vac sealed bag in my setup. My SV has a strong water pump that aids in heat transfer.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Will be reheating mine in a pot of warm water. Kind of the same but different.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SV works like a champ for reheating.  The stuff nearly comes out as good as it is fresh.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The only thing I can say mostly for sure is that if the water bath is between 130-135F, the pork will not get over re-heated for many hours.

The how long becomes really complex. Is the meat in a single mass. Or was it pulled/chopped. In both cases, what dimensions bag will go into the bath. Was any sauce, butter or stock added to the bag? What is the volume of the SV bath, and how powerful is the circulator.

I'd say wing it. Get the meat warm in the 130 range, and if it isn't heated thru by serving time, put portions in a 'wave w. some butter, and zap them till piping.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    First time I did it, I had no SV setup so I heated water on the stovetop to about 160° as I recall. The portk had been pulled and vac sealed. Put the bag in the water bath (1 lb bag per pot I think) and let it heat for 20-30 minutes. Came out perfect. With a controllable SV device, even better.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut